Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern BC Mule Deer Project

Re: Southern BC Mule Deer Project

It needs to be minimum 20 year ongoing study...conclusions cannot be drawn in short term. Continued constant change is not a climate to make hard conclusions . I hope the study doesn't come to a end with more questions then answers. Ise royale study suggests that short term conclusions are exactly that!
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    It needs to be minimum 20 year ongoing study...conclusions cannot be drawn in short term. Continued constant change is not a climate to make hard conclusions . I hope the study doesn't come to a end with more questions then answers. Ise royale study suggests that short term conclusions are exactly that!
    Absolutley. Hopefully this is just the start of a new direction.
    Funding is supposed to keep increasing over the next few years. We shall see.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

"Now if they could only collar a few of the preds like wolf and cougar in the area, and see how big the correlation is.

They're putting out camera traps to help determine who's around. Otherwise (as far as I understand it) you get to the site of a non-moving collar as fast as possible. I've heard bios describe wolf kills as "spectacular" (I think we know why) while cougar kills are, well, not as spectacular and tend to be hidden for prolonged feeding. Don't know what bear kills look like.

"
    It needs to be minimum 20 year ongoing study...."

Part of the strength of this study is that it will contribute data to an ongoing database from Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado (I hope I got those right and didn't leave any out). I think the Idaho study has been going on so long that it rivals the best medical longitudinal studies.

Translation? You and the bios are on the same page as far as time frame. SSS is also correct: funding needs to continue. Promoting this study by getting regular Joes involved, and getting the bios talking to people about it will help. Clubs helping to fund it will also help.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    "Now if they could only collar a few of the preds like wolf and cougar in the area, and see how big the correlation is.

They're putting out camera traps to help determine who's around. Otherwise (as far as I understand it) you get to the site of a non-moving collar as fast as possible. I've heard bios describe wolf kills as "spectacular" (I think we know why) while cougar kills are, well, not as spectacular and tend to be hidden for prolonged feeding. Don't know what bear kills look like.

"
    It needs to be minimum 20 year ongoing study...."

Part of the strength of this study is that it will contribute data to an ongoing database from Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado (I hope I got those right and didn't leave any out). I think the Idaho study has been going on so long that it rivals the best medical longitudinal studies.

Translation? You and the bios are on the same page as far as time frame. SSS is also correct: funding needs to continue. Promoting this study by getting regular Joes involved, and getting the bios talking to people about it will help. Clubs helping to fund it will also help.

Not just regular joes but also several FN bands want to do what they can as well. Traditionally they did low intensity burns to help the landscape and things are moving that direction again.

This project has also caught the ear the CEO of the one of the local mills. Collaboration is the key to moving forward with the best practical approach. The status quo hasn't worked.

Complaining and changing the regulations hasn't worked.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Great work to all involved. Nice to see projects like this get off the ground despite the negativity from the usual suspects.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Last edited by Seeker; 05-04-2018 at 01:21 PM.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Great project I am proud to be a part of. It's getting done. Kudos to those involved!