Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Southern BC Mule Deer Project

Re: Southern BC Mule Deer Project

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    "are they planning on collaring the offspring this year"

"
    Yes. In the early fall."

I'm sure it's tough to effectively collar a growing fawn or calf, but jeez it'd be great data to have in terms of finding out exactly who hammers them (wolves, coyotes, bears, cougars?) That info could lead to something I heard Rinella talk about being tried in Colorado: instead of killing predators on a big scale in the fall, for example, hoping that will increase fawn recruitment the following spring, they're trying to target bears (I think) specifically and hit them hard right around the time the calves/fawns drop in order to more effectively aid recruitment (may or may not work, I understand, but it's an interesting twist on pored control).

Some states are targeting collaring fawns shortly after they drop. By collaring in the fall, it could be difficult to determine what has happened between now and then when it comes to mortality. When Alaska put Gopros on both grizzly bears and black bears, they were blown away by how many moose and caribou calves each bear was eating. Wonder what the fawn returns will be come fall?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    "are they planning on collaring the offspring this year"

"
    Yes. In the early fall."

I'm sure it's tough to effectively collar a growing fawn or calf, but jeez it'd be great data to have in terms of finding out exactly who hammers them (wolves, coyotes, bears, cougars?) That info could lead to something I heard Rinella talk about being tried in Colorado: instead of killing predators on a big scale in the fall, for example, hoping that will increase fawn recruitment the following spring, they're trying to target bears (I think) specifically and hit them hard right around the time the calves/fawns drop in order to more effectively aid recruitment (may or may not work, I understand, but it's an interesting twist on pored control).
    I think folks might be surprised how much impact coyotes are having on fawns as well as those that make it into first winter. Hopefully the data might shed some light on that. Yotes will work in tandem to take down does....relentless, not pretty and not quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Just saw these pics now....eye opening to see what decades of fire suppression looks like. This ingrowth is a prime example document by Seeker....I don't think this was his intention, but interesting anyhow. I am really curious to see the habitat selection and timing data that will be produced.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Some states are targeting collaring fawns shortly after they drop. By collaring in the fall, it could be difficult to determine what has happened between now and then when it comes to mortality. When Alaska put Gopros on both grizzly bears and black bears, they were blown away by how many moose and caribou calves each bear was eating. Wonder what the fawn returns will be come fall?
    Good point, we know fawns are all the more susceptible to predation the younger they are..

All of the MU's surveyed in early December a few years ago all had fawn to doe ratios in the 66-68 range. Those numbers are pretty good going into winter. Things can definitely change in a few years so it will be interesting to see what the results are. Having the numbers coming out of winter will definitely help to see what's going on.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I watched a black bear kill a good size fawn in late September, it was playing with it like a cat plays with a mouse.
    I didn't get a shot at the bear, but put the fawn down, it wasn't pretty sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Good point LW!! Invasive plants are a major issue in many parts of the south.

Funny...I remember seeing herds of mule deer in the fields around Rock Creek back in the early 90's. Those fields are still cultivated now but are now mostly occupied by whitetails.
    Compared to the 90s there is less of both species seen in the fields of rock creek

The overall deer population there is not the same as the 90s but would say mule deer suffered more and WT doe numbers were too high in the past

All of the MU's surveyed in early December a few years ago all had fawn to doe ratios in the 66-68 range. Those numbers are pretty good going into winter. Things can definitely change in a few years so it will be interesting to see what the results are. Having the numbers coming out of winter will definitely help to see what's going on.

SSS
    Any up dates on this study, all the collars still working any mortalitys yet, any fawns sighted with the collared does etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Any up dates on this study, all the collars still working any mortalitys yet, any fawns sighted with the collared does etc.
    Nothing official released yet. They are working on someway to get the info out...like a website but it costs more money.

I've seen the migrational maps and it's pretty interesting. Wish I could say more but can't...at least at this point.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Nothing official released yet. They are working on someway to get the info out...like a website but it costs more money.

I've seen the migrational maps and it's pretty interesting. Wish I could say more but can't...at least at this point.
    x2.

They are getting some pretty phenomenal data.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."