Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Southern BC Mule Deer Project

Re: Southern BC Mule Deer Project

^^^^yes, hope it answers questions..so are they planning on collaring the offspring this year iirc from this threads discussion??

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^^yes, hope it answers questions..so are they planning on collaring the offspring this year iirc from this threads discussion??
    Yes. In the early fall.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I have been following this thread from the start and I’m glad there is a study.

Curious on what is discovered, especially how the deer use the vastly modified landscape from the MPB, especially migration routes. Too bad the traditional migration routes were not mapped.

Lots of un-answered questions will hopefully be answered.

Big thanks to the volunteers that are involved. Without them, projects like this wouldn’t happen.

Nice to see a good thread resurrected.

Everyone has to agree, studying wildlife and understanding wildlife needs is a first and very important step to determining our actions around increasing populations, or stabilizing populations.

This study goes a long way to creating base line information for future discussions and decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Yes. In the early fall.
    Good to hear....

"Just spent some time clearing out much of this thread of unrelated nonsense"

Nice work, good solution.

Now, about my deleted posts...kidding!
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    "Just spent some time clearing out much of this thread of unrelated nonsense"

Nice work, good solution.

Now, about my deleted posts...kidding!
    Lol best thing about it he gave Island Wanderer another months holiday
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

"are they planning on collaring the offspring this year"

"
    Yes. In the early fall."

I'm sure it's tough to effectively collar a growing fawn or calf, but jeez it'd be great data to have in terms of finding out exactly who hammers them (wolves, coyotes, bears, cougars?) That info could lead to something I heard Rinella talk about being tried in Colorado: instead of killing predators on a big scale in the fall, for example, hoping that will increase fawn recruitment the following spring, they're trying to target bears (I think) specifically and hit them hard right around the time the calves/fawns drop in order to more effectively aid recruitment (may or may not work, I understand, but it's an interesting twist on pored control).

Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Being that this study focuses on the southern portion of the province, there is another angle that is not being looked at. When I was young still living at home on the farm in the Boundary area, we always had herds of mule deer in our hay fields. Sixty to a hundred or more. We used to chase them off with a motorcycle before they could flatten too much alfalfa. We always had lots of hunters around, lots of coyotes and bears, but lots of feed for deer.

Thirty years later those those fields are now knapweed and tumbleweeds. They haven’t grown much of anything edible for ungulates in many years. Many other family farms with 100 plus acres that used to grow hay are now in the same position. These were safe areas for deer. They could raise fawns without being disturbed too much and could feed on high calorie food all summer long.

Quote Originally Posted by longwalk View Post
    Being that this study focuses on the southern portion of the province, there is another angle that is not being looked at. When I was young still living at home on the farm in the Boundary area, we always had herds of mule deer in our hay fields. Sixty to a hundred or more. We used to chase them off with a motorcycle before they could flatten too much alfalfa. We always had lots of hunters around, lots of coyotes and bears, but lots of feed for deer.

Thirty years later those those fields are now knapweed and tumbleweeds. They haven’t grown much of anything edible for ungulates in many years. Many other family farms with 100 plus acres that used to grow hay are now in the same position. These were safe areas for deer. They could raise fawns without being disturbed to

o much and could feed on high calorie food all summer long.

Good point LW!! Invasive plants are a major issue in many parts of the south.

Funny...I remember seeing herds of mule deer in the fields around Rock Creek back in the early 90's. Those fields are still cultivated now but are now mostly occupied by whitetails.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....