Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7-02 Info? Valemount Moose Hunt

7-02 Info? Valemount Moose Hunt

Hey guys, first post here.

Anyways, I'm just looking for any info in 7-02. Good Moose hunting in the area? Camp sites, or places to set up a wall tent? Basically any info you guys have regarding the area.

Normally we hunt in 7-26 but the last few years we have had less and less success there. So our group is looking to switch things up a bit.

So if anyone has any info on the area that would be great!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 7-02 Info? Valemount Moose Hunt

7-2 ... great area to set up, and I've seen bulls and the odd grizzly about

Personally only hunted grizz in 7-02 and would say there is way more then the odd grizz lol. Did not see much for moose but was not looking for them either

Myself I would take 7-26 for moose over 7-02

This is older information butt still there, M.U. 7-2
    M.U. 7-2
    Canoe Reach

-- Reached from boat from near Valemount, or from Mica Creek Dam in south. Note: Boating on McNaughton Lake is dangerous, due to masses of floating logs and debris.
    -- Vehicle access is from Valemount on Hwy 5, via the Canoe Forest road down the east side of Canoe Reach, or the West Lake road down the west side of the reach.
    Fair moose and mule deer along these spur roads off.
    -- Also Upper Canoe River road runs back to fair to good moose and deer.
    Jel -- older info so check recent maps and regs for up to today 2018

Good place to hunt high for moose. Alder slides off the lake. However there are a buttload of hunters and not a pile of bulls. Can be fun chasing and calling in the thick stuff where others won’t go and you might call in a bear. Challenging to pack one out as well.

-- Another logging road west from Hwy 5, about 2 Kilometers north of Valemount centre forks one Kilo from Hwy -- Left fork is Upper Canoe River road, which runs back to a logging system with fair to good moose and mule deer hunting. Right fork also leads to good moose and mule deer hunting it goes into 7-4.
    Jello -- Camp Inn Nello -- good luck inn M.U. 7-2 a rather choice area in these spots above ........

Good mule deer in Valemount? Good luck with that.

Like the adjacent Region 3 units, 7-2 has been eaten hard by wolves. It is a fact that LEH hunters need to come to terms with. Drawing a moose tag is by no means a glorious event any more. Asking the questions early before putting in is very comendable. It is a beautiful place. I've spent a ton of time there over the years. Not where I would be looking to waste an LEH entry. Great place to camp though. Lots of sites along the lake. The lake can get rather windy so pick your camping spot wisely with a wall tent.
    Last edited by dana; 05-02-2018 at 06:12 PM.

I would put in for a moose LEH in the areas I said above and take a chance at winning first of all, you can't win a tag if you don't buy one first, then if you or your Buddy get's a tag in 7-2 -- hey, your on your way If you get it, go.
    Jelvis -- MU 7-02 is a glorious Unit for wildlife and hunting opportunity -- yah pay your bucks on a LEH application for 7-2 moose and takes yer chances -- it's a lottery

Jelly,
    Winning an bull moose LEH is easy. Killing a bull moose in that LEH zone is the tuff part. Better odds going to Vegas and playing the slots.