Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly in Moose

Re: Fly in Moose

Decide what area you wish to consider hunting, then explore all LEH and the available animals on open season.
    Flights can often get you to where others are NOT, but it's not uncommon to see others.
    If your in search of a monster Bull, then you have a kick at the can.
    If hunting for meat, this will be some expensive meat.
    A large Bull will require an extra flight, 500lbs meat and antlers.
    For this very reason and the fact that moose are quite readily available up North without having to fly in, I have not focused my attentions on Moose.
    i do carry a tag
    This is a money hunt, fill pocket with all avail tags.
    Lots of LEH available at extremely achievable odds to combine with moose hunt, Caribou, Mnt Goat, Sheep, unfortunately NO Grizzly
    Best of luck, certain more information will be provided when you outline an area.
    Cheers
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

If you pack light a beaver can take in 2 guys and camp in one flight, and 2 guys, camp and a moose in one flight on the way out. Saves a bunch of money

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I have the hunting part down and understand the costs and know what I'm doing as far as what I'm going to attempt to shoot and how much it's going to cost etc..

I'm really just looking for advise from the people who have sat in a fly in camp in the evening thinking "damn I wish I would have brought...." or "I did not need to bring....it's just extra weight I didn't need"

I'm trying to minimize what I'm taking as far as weight of course, I usually don't have to pack light for a trip as I typically just drive my truck or quad into where I'm camping then hike from there.

Thanks all.

Don't shoot moose in the water
    Cheap blue tarps are not water proof, better off with a roll of vapour barrier
    manila/sisal rope for building shelters, ladders, meat pole, raft, etc, burns and/or is biodegradable
    Oven rack for cheap fire grill
    Chest waders
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quality Rain gear is priority.
    I spent days in constant rain on a Spatsizi fly in
    no timber for cover or a fire
    virtually impossible to dry gear out
    We basically ate upon conclusion of hunt, stripped down and slept. Tent dry, sleeping bag warm.
    It was rough
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Don’t shoot a big bull in water! Hunted one flyin trip with a guy who never shot a moose never mind a real big one. I said wait till he hits the shore...no boom 53 incher down in the water with a muddey bottom. Then he says “what do we do now.” I said you better light a big fire cause your going to be cold getting that moose out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Cheap blue tarps are not water proof, better off with a roll of vapour barrier
    manila/sisal rope for building shelters, ladders, meat pole, raft, etc, burns and/or is biodegradable
    Oven rack for cheap fire grill
    Chest waders
    Damn, somebody learned the hard way.

Well said, BH
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I thought moose only die in water?

We brought an inflatable canoe, it was awesome. And our fishing gear got tons of use, especially as the plane was delayed 3 days in getting us out.

In case no one has mentioned yet, try not to shoot a moose in the water. I’ve done this twice. It’s funny for about 10 minutes then sucky for far longer.

Don't shoot a moose in a swamp either. De-hydrated meals are great. Search out recipes that are good with high calories because you are burning them hiking. Add water, boil in a pot of water and enjoy. Test the recipes at home first and how to cook them again. Watch as some bags want to burst from food expanding. Bug juice, head net is a must. Nothing spoils a hunt as 50 black flies buzzing your eyeballs. 22 bites in the 15 minutes finding the bug juice. Bug juice with Permethrin. Spray it only on your clothes if there is ticks about, not on your skin(Horse spray). Black electrical tape as well as duct tape, remove the inside core and it packs up smaller. 1/2 a bar of Irish spring in your duffle bag it keeps the mice and chipmunks out and can be used for washing up. 10x magnifier for taking slivers/thorns out, a princess auto store has foldout ones. A re-sealable bag of wet wipes, for those days when it is great to have them.
    Oh and a positive attitude.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"