Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly in Moose

Fly in Moose

Looking at a potential fly in moose hunt, depending on LEH and a few other things, but I'm looking for any feedback from people who have done this, would be my first fly in.

Anybody flown with Lake District Air Services? Any good or bad experiences? Obviously still being alive is a good experience.

Also, what gear did you take and find you didn't need, and any gear you wish you would have taken?

Any feedback is appreciated!

T.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fly in Moose

I have done a fly in before, it depends if your going to be hunting near the body of water you land on or not. If so, u can set up base camp and have lots of ability to store items at base then do day trips. If this isn’t the case and you are packing, that changes things.

Best piece of gear you should take on a pack hunt it’s a pair of el cheapo flip flops from old navy. They are only like 6 bucks and weigh nothing. Super important because at the end of a long day, it’s inpoetant to let your feet breathe and they are so comfy to let the cool air soothe those rub points. Oh and take a piece of duct tape and stick a 6 inch strip on your gun stock. If you get blisters, u can stick pieces of the duct tape over your sock where it’s rubbing and it helps the boot move better around the sore spot. Weights nothing and is a handy item.
    Last edited by PressurePoint; 04-30-2018 at 08:37 AM.
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

Quote Originally Posted by PressurePoint View Post
    I have done a fly in before, it depends if your going to be hunting near the body of water you land on or not. If so, u can set up base camp and have lots of ability to store items at base then do day trips. If this isn’t the case and you are packing, that changes things.

Best piece of gear you should take on a pack hunt it’s a pair of el cheapo flip flops from old navy. They are only like 6 bucks and weigh nothing. Super important because at the end of a long day, it’s inpoetant to let your feet breathe and they are so comfy to let the cool air soothe those rub points. Oh and take a piece of duct tape and stick a 6 inch strip on your gun stock. If you get blisters, u can stick pieces of the duct tape over your sock where it’s rubbing and it helps the boot move better around the sore spot. Weights nothing and is a handy item.
    Thanks! The plan will be to do day trips from camp but have the ability to do 1-2 night treks if required.

My advice is fly in a canoe ..... effortless way to travel and explore compared to bushwacking. Opens up way more area and paddling 1000 lbs of meat back to base camp is a lark. Packing 1000 lbs on your back over the course of a couple days is awful.

You DO NOT want to shoot a big bull 6 hours hike from base camp. That will be the worst 3 days of your life, trust me .................................

Can’t comment on the fly in moose hunt, but have flown with nicks outfit (LD air) a couple times. He’s a great guy and runs a top notch charter outfit. He’s the kind of fellow that would be happy to answer any of your questions. Worth giving him a call. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    You DO NOT want to shoot a big bull 6 hours hike from base camp. That will be the worst 3 days of your life, trust me .................................
    yup, been there before. Makes for some sore feet.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Can’t comment on the fly in moose hunt, but have flown with nicks outfit (LD air) a couple times. He’s a great guy and runs a top notch charter outfit. He’s the kind of fellow that would be happy to answer any of your questions. Worth giving him a call. Cheers.
    Awesome to hear. I have been emailing with Nick, he's been super helpful. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    My advice is fly in a canoe ..... effortless way to travel and explore compared to bushwacking. Opens up way more area and paddling 1000 lbs of meat back to base camp is a lark. Packing 1000 lbs on your back over the course of a couple days is awful.
    Never thought of a canoe, good call thanks.

Nick and lake district air are top notch outfit. One of my all-time favorite pilots and a awesome BC family based business type of people we as BC hunters need to support.