Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New outboard Merc/Yama/Evin/Suz?

Re: New outboard Merc/Yama/Evin/Suz?

I agree - don't overlook tohatsu. Honda's are most popular and Tohatsu second - because of their price. My experience is with salt water boaters. They other manufacturers are out there - but I don't see nearly the same numbers - at least in the smaller displacement anyway.

Tohatsu makes Mercury and Evinrudes portables, i believe either 20 or 25hp an under.

I have been running 25 Yamaha 2 strokes for the last 25 years.First one was stolen both have been superp with no issues.That new 25 4 stroke at that weight and with those nice idling trolling features would be hard to beat.My 25 2 strokes have no problem idling at low for trolling as well.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Well theres a pretty clear favourite here for the Yamaha. I was leaning towards mercury because thats what Ive had experience with and the only Yamaha motor Ive had experience with must have been a lemon. 115 fourstroke low hours had work done every year and was stored for 7 months a year. Good to know, now I need to find a good dealer in BC. Thanks for the tips.

It not the mechanical components, they are all pretty good, it's the electronic ones. I would trust Honda.

The fishing guide I been going with for over 20 years runs a Yamaha 4 stroke 9 hp trolling motor, it must have 5000 hours on it ,way better than the Yamaha 225 4stroke that corroded out in under 500 hours.Why the small motors last longer than the big motors us a mystery to me. I did hear something about that 225 Hp Yamaha that had serious corrosion issues
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 05-02-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Gotta change the zincs regularity in the big Yamaha and Suzuki outboards or they will pile up...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Gotta change the zincs regularity in the big Yamaha and Suzuki outboards or they will pile up...
    They still pile up........

I’ve primarily owned Merc products, but have had a couple Yami’s without any issues. I’m currently running a 2013 Merc 20hp on my 1448 fly fishing boat without issue except the plastic on the cowl (small plastic top where you grasp to tilt the motor) did work harden and crack which is a piss off. It’s replaceable, but Merc shouldn’t have gone this route. Honda has stepped it up, but it wasn’t many years ago that they discontinued parts for their motors to early as motors aged.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Bout my 20 hp Yamaha 8 years ago and have never had a lick of trouble with it. Have put on a ton of hours.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!