Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New outboard Merc/Yama/Evin/Suz?

New outboard Merc/Yama/Evin/Suz?

Howdy howdy howdy.
    Im in the market for a new outboard motor- 20/30hp tiller prop for a 1648 john boat. Its gunna get used a ton for fishing the lakes Ill tell you that but double as duck boat on big rivers so needs to be reliable and be able to take some work hours. Not a weekend here or there, multiple days per weekend all open water season. What are peoples thoughts on Mercury, Yamaha, Evinrude, Suzuki. Price? Reliability? cost of ownership, parts, fuel consumption?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New outboard Merc/Yama/Evin/Suz?

Get the new Yamaha 4-stroke 25hp. Lightest in its hp range. Most the new 4-strokes are nice but I’m a real Yamaha fan.

I just ordered a new Yam 20hp with elect start and tilt. Hopefully its enough power for my 14 foot mirrorcraft. I went with the 20 as I hope to still be able to take it on and off when using the over cab boat loader.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    Get the new Yamaha 4-stroke 25hp. Lightest in its hp range. Most the new 4-strokes are nice but I’m a real Yamaha fan.
    This would be my choice as well

Definitely look hard and Yamaha....
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Yami's are good. But, most cruisers use Honda. I would personally go with a Honda - all the rest are fine but I see more Honda's out there and it will be easier to find service. They're bullet proof.

Anything four stroke, tough to beat Yamaha and Suzuki. I run the 9.9yamaha high thrust for trolling, it's a 1999 with close to 5000hrs. 2006 Suzuki 175 approaching 3000hrs. Only regular maintenance done. Yamaha 200 be my next main engine...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Lodges run Yamahas for a reason. So do I. Best bet for your money if you want to run up the hours without headaches.

Take a good look at Tohatsu, they are made in Japan by Honda.
    Cheaper than Yamaha, some of the Yamahas we are installing are made in Malaysia.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

I have been very happy with my 50/35 Tohatsu jet. Light for the power and absolutely trouble free for 6 years. Bigger than you are looking for though.