Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Best way to remove ticks

Re: Best way to remove ticks

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    Dude, go to the Dr! Ticks can carry some nasty stuff. They claim that Lyme isn't in BC (I think they're still saying that) - but I'm not convinced. And even if it isn't/wasn't that doesn't mean it couldn't be here now. You don't want to mess around with Lyme - or pretty much anything else that ticks can carry. When I got a tick in CA they gave me a dose of anti-biotics as a prophylactic.
    ya I might be heading to the doctor tomorrow for a serious conversation. Yes they will tell you first there is no lyme in BC, then you can point out data that shows not only is there lyme but the chilliwack/hope areas are considered "high risk hot spots" ... then they will acknowledge around 20% of ticks carry lyme but transmission rate is low if removed properly within 24 hours... then you point you you have been bitten dozens of times and sometimes a few days after you have been home from camping... then they say if you had lyme you'd be virtually crippled and therefor you dont have it dont worry. I have had multiple doctors play the exact same script.

I'll probably point out that the government is issuing warnings about lyme and there is actually a reasonable chance that I (the patient sitting in front of them) have been bitten by more ticks than anyone in BC. Hunters get bit more than anyone. I am curious where I fall on the scale? It must be high up there. I have most certainly pulled more than 50 out of me (and busted hundreds on my skin/clothes) and I have no idea how many I have missed. I know that I have missed some for days but won't elaborate on how and "where" I found them (or parts of them)

I have been sick since Saturday... missed 3 days of work so far. I recall reading something about being suspicious if you have been hit by ticks and come down with something like this in the summer. My ankle is still pretty infected.

Do I think I have lyme disease? Probably not, but it's worth checking into and I'm tired of the BS. No more messing around. Going to tell the doctor what's what.

AND I don't want some 2 week prescription of oral antibiotics as lip service. I am not going to take anything without confirmation. I want testing. Proper testing. It's going to happen.

I have no problem looking a doctor in the eye now and pointing out the government warnings and challenging them to present me a case of any patient who has been bitten more than I have. Heck I have tons of pictures and videos of ticks stuck in me. TBH I think most doctors don't believe reports of being bit. They just think you are a hypochondriac and at most maybe saw one on your clothing. I believe there is pressure for doctors not to acknowledge lyme beyond giving antibiotics as a preventative measure for recent bites, but the government rhetoric versus that of our public healthcare system is very contradictory. I think truth is getting the upper-hand against a health care system that is being squeezed financially and stretched all over as far as service is concerned.

Anyway despite all the warnings about tick populations... I only got bit a few times this year... a fraction of previous years. Not sure what I attribute that to. I was wearing some cheap polyester rain pants that I don't think they liked... perhaps they could not cling onto it easily. The ones I busted hitching a ride would hold up around my stock line. The ones that nailed my I believe either decided to travel down the sock or maybe nailed me shortly after getting changing and leaving things untucked.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-24-2018 at 06:00 PM.

I've been researching Permethrin a synthetic pyrethroid insecticide and how it is being used to impregnate clothes that you can buy or it can be sprayed on clothes to prevent ticks from climbing on you it will kill them as well.

It does not work on skin though basically breaks down in 15 minutes you need Deet for skin.

It is used on crops to kill over 100 different types of insects one ad I found on the Sawyer web site shows a fellow spraying his dog.

Thru my company I can buy CroPro Pounce I just got off the phone with my herbicide sprayer we are going to check into this for spraying around yards and on dogs = cats are not to get near it until it is dry though and do not spray it on cats.

Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Don't know if this works on tics, but if you ever get a leech on you just give it a little shot of mosquito repellent, they let go instantly. It might be worth a try.

Ya sorry Pemby......... working night shift.The cyst now is about 20 percent of the original size, mainly from the tea tree oil now oil of oregano. Its on the back of her neck , so no chance to lick it. However I would suspect that tea tree oil would also be toxic to humans if swallowed.

So after one week of using this- 20 drops of rose geranium oil, two cups of vinegar and one cup of water. All mixed up and put in a spray bottle, I spray this on my dog before we go for a walk. No ticks.

I got nailed this weekend... huge red welt all swelled up... probably 4x2 inch red and puffed out half an inch. Guessing that will leave another itchy beauty mark for the next several months. I video'd my weekend tick encounters and burning the little effers lol

During the three weeks in may in which my family and I traveled through the north western states we encountered 4 of the little *******s. One was stuck to my ass! I got him off before he buried himself.
    In 20 years of working in the bush I encountered 1 tick and now this spring I've seen half a dozen! Scary!
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Not so easy finding ticks on a black lab. We just use "NexGard" from our vet for control of fleas and ticks. I don't know how it works but it works. NOT for People, ,,, lol

Can you even get Permethrin in Canada?

I got a requisition for a Lyme test today. That only took 5 years and 6 doctors

Oddly enough this tick bite I got on Saturday is getting strange looking, like a bunch of stretch marks coming out of it. I googled "ticks bite stretch marks" and apparently this is a sign of something called Bartonella which from what I read sounds just as bad as Lyme. Eff ticks !!!!

Anyone know anything about Bartonella? Does the rash occur at the site of infection at first?