Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Best way to remove ticks

Re: Best way to remove ticks

I'm either lucky or dumb but up until yesterday I have only had one experience with ticks. So me and my girls 12 and 6 went canoeing, we dragged the canoe across a small meadow through some reed grass and jumped in. About half way through the reeds, I look down, In the bottom of the canoe is a engorged tick. Let's just say it's a miracle we didn't end up all swimming.

Spotted this article this morning (Permetherin again): https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ived-from-mums

I just hose myself with the permetherine. No reaction what so ever. All over myself like mosquito spray, up inside the pant legs, sleeves, waistline, down my neck. Leaving no entrance lacking coverage. Still haven't seen a single tick.

Oh for Christs sake, lol....pull them off. Grew up in Manitoba and had thousands of the little buggers on me as a kid. If you're out in the bush, check yourself thoroughly afterward and you won't have a problem.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Busterpayton54 View Post
    I just hose myself with the permetherine. No reaction what so ever. All over myself like mosquito spray, up inside the pant legs, sleeves, waistline, down my neck. Leaving no entrance lacking coverage. Still haven't seen a single tick.
    I just bought a liter of 10% - 13% Permetherin concentrate with a .05% mix to water I can make 20 liters of odorless spray plan on spraying my clothes especially my pants, boots and gators looking at a lesser % mix to match what is available in pet stores to spray on my dogs.

It is a residual spray I'm thinking I may spray it around my camps to keep mosquitoes and well as ticks, wasps, hornets away from us.

FYI the commonly available bug spray "Ant Out" maybe the cheapest over the counter spray to buy it is a very weak Permetherin product that works a buddy of mine sprayed it on his clothes after they were dry he put them on and went to a corner of his property that always has mosquitoes none of them came close to him.
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

A little dab of vaseline works great too. They back right up as they can't breath and just wipe them off with a paper towel. Although explaining to people why you're going into the woods by yourself with a jar of vaseline can be awkward...
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

^^^ lol...

I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    I just bought a liter of 10% - 13% Permetherin concentrate with a .05% mix to water I can make 20 liters of odorless spray plan on spraying my clothes especially my pants, boots and gators looking at a lesser % mix to match what is available in pet stores to spray on my dogs.

It is a residual spray I'm thinking I may spray it around my camps to keep mosquitoes and well as ticks, wasps, hornets away from us.

FYI the commonly available bug spray "Ant Out" maybe the cheapest over the counter spray to buy it is a very weak Permetherin product that works a buddy of mine sprayed it on his clothes after they were dry he put them on and went to a corner of his property that always has mosquitoes none of them came close to him.
    woild you mind sharing the source of this concentrate?

The arerosol cans I picked up were .5% and yes, .5. While other branded were .05%. Unless it's a typo on the can.

From everything I read, .5% is all you need. I saw no mention of going higher, but perhaps that's a safe limit for humans? However I never saw any mention of that either.

It is also fetal for bees, so keep that in mind if using as an area spray. Those are one insect that I know we need more of.

Quote Originally Posted by Kill-da-wabbit View Post
    A little dab of vaseline works great too. They back right up as they can't breath and just wipe them off with a paper towel. Although explaining to people why you're going into the woods by yourself with a jar of vaseline can be awkward...
    Maybe for you...when I get caught with a jar of Vaseline in the woods, most are smart enough not to ask

Quote Originally Posted by Busterpayton54 View Post
    woild you mind sharing the source of this concentrate?
    My source won't help you they won't sell over the counter.

I own a landscaping business which includes spraying herbicides and insecticides I buy products like this thru my company.