Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to remove ticks

Re: Best way to remove ticks

This is what the Aussies are starting to do with tick removal.

"Australian experts and ASCIA (the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy) now recommend you kill the adult tick on your skin with a freezing product such as Wart-Off Freeze or Elastoplast Cold Spray. These sprays contain ether which freezes the tick, thus immediately killing it and preventing it from injecting its saliva or regurgitating its contents into you." http://www.mydr.com.au/first-aid-self-care/tick-removal

"Perhaps the safest method to remove ticks is with a can of freeze-off wart remover, available from chemists. Follow the instructions and spray the remover on the tick, freezing it solid and killing it. When the tick is frozen solid you can easily pull it off with your fingers, and there is no danger that you will squeeze its stomach contents back into your skin." https://growyouthful.com/ailment/tick-bite.php

Starting fluid also has ether in it. I don't have a can of Wart off in my truck but I do have a can of Starting Fluid. I'll try it out if either I or the dogs get ticks. So far we've been lucky.
    Last edited by Thor762; 04-29-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Lots of good info in here. I'll be buying a tick key before next weekend as the ticks seem to be out in full force in the Okanagan. Have brushed to a lot off myself over the last two weekends... Gross.

Will they fully burrow into your skin, body and all, over time? Or is it just the head that gets in there with the torso exposed?

Thanks
    ig: mmckimmi

Just the head.

I've seen the bodies balloons out to up to 1/2" on the heads of rabbits I've shot.
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyduck View Post
    Pulled a tick off my dogs neck two years ago now, and it is swelling up now. Size of a big marble?
    Has nothing to do with the tick 2 years ago. Sounds like a growth of some kind and should be checked by your vet. In many cases a fine needle aspirate biopsy is enough for a diagnosis. This is a simple procedure that does not require an anesthetic.

Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

I am interested in the wart remover method. I first saw it while watching a show on Netflix (dangerous animals of central America if I recall) In the demo, not only did the gas kill the tick instantly but it creates a suction that makes the tick pop out. Looks very cool and efficient.

I just use needle nose tweezers (carefully) ... I was unfortunate (maybe fortunate given my track record previous years) to have to pluck one out of my ankle when I got home yesterday.

Hunter 1947 shows the tool that I have used successfully on my dog and myself. I bought a box of nine which contain 2 per packet on line for $35
    Why 9? As I know they work I give they to friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Roe View Post
    Hunter 1947 shows the tool that I have used successfully on my dog and myself. I bought a box of nine which contain 2 per packet on line for $35
    Why 9? As I know they work I give they to friends and family.

I like ........
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

I don't get to many ticks. But, when I do, if they are starting to burrow, I use a utility blade and cut them out.... you take enough meat, and you'll be sure to get all of the tick.

Thanks 35rem, wife has make an appointment with the vet. I was thinking bacterial infection from the tick.