Thread: Do ungulates have a right or left preferance?

Do ungulates have a right or left preferance?

Having hunted for 56 years I have noticed that lots of antlered game have a strong side and a weak side ...Some are really symetric...others are wildly unbalanced..What opinions have you?...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Do ungulates have a right or left preferance?

Haven't noticed it on ungulates that I can think of, but a grizzly I watched for quite a few hours one day was a right footed digger....exclusively during the time I observed him. That said, the claws don't appear to be worn a whole lot differently.

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Having hunted for 56 years I have noticed that lots of antlered game have a strong side and a weak side ...Some are really symetric...others are wildly unbalanced..What opinions have you?...
    Are you talking specifically about unbalanced head gear?

I've noticed on some antlered skulls, if you look at the little holes in the skull where arteries, veins and nerves pass through. On the smaller/distorted antlered side the skull holes are smaller or restricted. Maybe its a blood flow/nutrient restriction thing when the antler is growing.

I thought you were speaking politically, in todays landscape definitely... RIGHT

Hmmm check out girraffes..they are right or left side dominant.that dominant side will have larger bone horn on that side of the head.
    Srupp

I'm speaking about antler growth as well as favoring one side or another..Moose really show antler imbalance..One palm is notisably larger than the other side..Elk also show this..Deer also can have a weak side..More points also more mass on one side..Haven't you guys noticed this..Just wondered if they are like humans and have this ....I'm right or I'm left ...Dennis

I have honestly never observed that, but it's not like I was looking.
    I certainly will be now.
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by ROY-alty33 View Post
    I thought you were speaking politically, in todays landscape definitely... RIGHT
    I doubt ungulates subscribe to the political "Left / Right" paradigm.
    Probably Libertarians or Egalitarians.

correlates to side-hill travelers. Those that travel more with one particular side more often on the uphill side will show antler or horn growth difference to one side.
    Some travel more on left-uphill slopes than right-uphill slopes and vice-versa
    May also relate to bears with a claw-dominance but studies so far are inconclusive.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Ungulates I’m not sure. But I did read somewhere that elephants are either right or left. They use their dominant side tusk almost exclusively for stripping bark etc