Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E-Tec motor issue

Re: E-Tec motor issue

Quote Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
    this thought has crossed my mind. Before this issue I would say that I was very happy with it. I believe these type of issues can happen to all brands of motors/ vehicles etc.. Maybe it is a price we pay for the changes in technology of stuff. [ one little diode or electronic thing-oma jig fails and takes out something else that can't then be individually replaced ]
    Ya for sure, the new two strokes are excellent on fuel and good power/weight ratio. But like you say doesn't take long with a cylinder/crank not getting two stroke lube and pop. Certainly all brands put out lemons, but if the 4 strokes are maintained properly they seem to go a long time. My partner had 3 different optimax in 4 seasons, cost him thousands more than my zuki and still had to buy a Suzuki in the end.
    Good luck
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

To the OP , apparently the e-tec 's are some what prone to the brain box failure ( that diagosis is simple on a Teck's computer ).
    according to my bud he has replaced alot on smaller motors . He says they are finicky on the way the electrical is hooked up and never use wing nut connections at the battery . Also says $2500 sounds about right for replacement .
    Hope this helps a little ...

To the OP, I was wary about e-tec's at first, then found out the this is the only thing the Coast guard will run for their SAR and work RHIB's.

Evinrude sometimes uses these guys as testers for the absolute worst possible conditions they could run their motors up against and then some.

Obviously regular maintenance is required and parts needed. They are to their Generation 2 motors now, as the G1's come up for hours. Some of these motors get 8-12 hours every single day of the year from guys and gals who drive it like they stole it, from long idle periods, to starting with out water supply, to saying "its running really rough after 4500 rpm so we just drive it slow every day" because they havent changed their fuel filters in over a year and fuel up from very remote areas.

Good luck on your repairs, I would stick with evinrude 2-strokes, but....JMO ofcourse, and there's always lemons out there

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    To the OP, I was wary about e-tec's at first, then found out the this is the only thing the Coast guard will run for their SAR and work RHIB's.

Evinrude sometimes uses these guys as testers for the absolute worst possible conditions they could run their motors up against and then some.

Obviously regular maintenance is required and parts needed. They are to their Generation 2 motors now, as the G1's come up for hours. Some of these motors get 8-12 hours every single day of the year from guys and gals who drive it like they stole it, from long idle periods, to starting with out water supply, to saying "its running really rough after 4500 rpm so we just drive it slow every day" because they havent changed their fuel filters in over a year and fuel up from very remote areas.

Good luck on your repairs, I would stick with evinrude 2-strokes, but....JMO ofcourse, and there's always lemons out there
    I bet the total hrs put on them is not outrageous before they swap for new ones. Even an optipop can run well for a couple seasons. In a lease situation maybe, not a decade of pounding around the west coast...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

thanks for the feedback guys, electrical component break downs are not as fun to pay for.