Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Tec motor issue

E-Tec motor issue

Has anyone here had an issue with their ETec outboard? I have a 2008 115HP and it sounds like the EMM ( brain) is faulty. It’s not an inexpensive part to replace but I’m not sure if there are other options.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: E-Tec motor issue

nobody? after a few more phone calls it sounds like the EMM probably failed from an overheat condition of the motor. [ which took out a couple of other things ] maybe from insufficient water flow from the cooling. The replacement cost of that part is about $2500. [ kind of sucks ] I have found some shops down south that will rebuild or repair the unit for less money but I'm not sure if that is the route to go. I guess I forgot how much fun some of the repair costs of marine work can be.

Ouch. Boat = bring out another thousand ,hope you get it figured.

Heard some horror stories about the etec, never ran one though. Might be worth cutting your losses and getting into a Yamaha or Suzuki 4stroke...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Hard to diagnose over the internet .... I have a friend with 40+ years experience working on outboards . I'll ask him tonight what he thinks .... it sounds expensive to me .

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Might be worth cutting your losses and getting into a Yamaha or Suzuki 4stroke...
    this thought has crossed my mind. Before this issue I would say that I was very happy with it. I believe these type of issues can happen to all brands of motors/ vehicles etc.. Maybe it is a price we pay for the changes in technology of stuff. [ one little diode or electronic thing-oma jig fails and takes out something else that can't then be individually replaced ]

Ten year old motor. Expect things to fail at that age
    "You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Heard some horror stories about the etec, never ran one though. Might be worth cutting your losses and getting into a Yamaha or Suzuki 4stroke...
    The sound of no experience talking.

Quote Originally Posted by lowball View Post
    The sound of no experience talking.
    Oh yeah? You got 3000+hrs on one? Haven't heard of any guides getting that out of any high pressure direct injection two strokes. Know of many main engine four strokes getting north of 4000hrs.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Bchunt View Post
    Ten year old motor. Expect things to fail at that age
    Still rocking an 06' Suzuki 175 four stroke. Just about to turn 3000hrs, I don't troll on it either. Haven't had it in the shop for as much as a check-up since the warranty ran out in 08'. Change fluids and zincs regular, never misses a beat. Engineering marvel in my opinion...