Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to get started ???

Re: How to get started ???

Take your family hunting on trips
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieApocalypse View Post
    I have only done archery as a kid but it definitely sounds fun. I'm not too sure about hunting with it... for me anyways but it certainly is a thing to consider in the future. I'm thinking of starting with a shotgun as there's a range close by and if I do start hunting it will probably be for small game like grouse, ducks, and rabbits maybe. Any suggestions on a good first shotgun? A more experienced guy told me about semi's, that they would last a lifetime but are more expensive... others have told me about pump actions as they are cheaper. I'm 5'11 @ 215lbs... so I'm not a small guy and am fairly athletic. I know that doesn't mean to much but I'm not 140lbs (no offence to anyone that is) at least.
    If small game is all you have in mind shotgun is best. A semi is not going to out last a pump they are just different actions with different positives and negatives. Pump 12ga is what I would recommend do to cost, durability, and versatility. Weatherby, Browning, Benelli, Winchester, and older Remington’s are good options

Waterfowl is a good choice do to your location. Lots of opportunities close, a good long season, and no lack of experienced waterfowl hunters in your area. Lots to learn and lots of gear involved lol

Rabbit and grouse in your area is limited and most hunt them as a target of opurtunity well hunting big game

Go get your Core and get started is what you need and fall is coming

Oh are you picking small game because that is all you want to hunt or because you think it’s easy?

Honestly pick what interests you not what seems easy because you only learn how to hunt something by you target that animal
    Last edited by Wild one; 04-26-2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: lack coffee

Bought a Remington 12g pump action couple years back. New and out the door for 450 I think. Was less then 500 anyway. It's a great all around gun. Cheap ammo and came with many choke options. I use it for grouse and skeet all the time. But like I said before you don't have to break the bank to be a hunter. Shop around to and don't just assume the big box guys are the best deal. I actually find them 90% of the time more expensive. Support your local ma and pa shops as those are the people that actually use their products and have first hand experience. There are many professionals at bass pro and that is a great place to gain knowledge. I bought a savage 30-06 with a cheap Bushnell scope and again under 500. Yes the scope is crap but the gun is awesome. For under 500 I was hinting bigger game. Upgraded the scope a couple years later.

Like I said before don't get intimidated by 2000 dollar guns and 1500 scopes. Most of that stuff is just crome and bling. Same with clothing. 500 dollar brand name jacket doesn't make you a better hunter then the warm gear that's in your closet. Quite is the key though. Like anything else practice practice practice

This is good info... I didn't choose small game cause it was easier... I chose it cause I thought I would have the best chance at actually getting out to do it (a day trip instead of multi day trip). Otherwise I'd love to get into big game hunting in time. When my boys grow up abit(they are small) I will have more time to get away. I think this stage is all about getting as much information as possible. I'd love to bring my kids on a hunting trip but after I get some experience for sure.

Sounds like a shot gun is a nice place to start. Lookin for easy to use and cheaper in price for my first gun. I have a good job that pays well but kids take the cake on my monopoly money!

Whoever recommended the Complete Guide to hunting, butchering, and cooking wild game, thanks to that... great read so far!

Since you want to stay day trip for now I recommend waterfowl blacktail deer and black bear as your best options for close by. Blacktail take time to learn good pockets but figure them out and you can be consistently successful no matter how tough people say they are. Black bear gives you both spring and fall. They are probably the easiest big game in BC. Already mentioned why I recommend waterfowl

grouse and rabbit hunting is really not that good in the lower mainland do to poor numbers

Want to stay close and do day trips those are the 3 I recommend for where you live. This also gives you open hunting seasons for a large part of the year giving you more options to go when you can get a free day or 1/2 a day for that matter

As for shotgun a pump in the brands I recommended would give you a reasonable price and a good starting point for a shotgun

Take your time do research before jumping in to things. I am only offering options choose what interests you