Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get started ???

How to get started ???

Hello Guys,

Like many of you here I am completely new but I am interested in hunting for reasons of being involved with my food... and to eat sustainably and feed my family with the very best natural foods.

That being said I am completely new and am looking for the first steps... I’m hoping to start a thread that will help me and others like me.. as well as start conversations around the best ways to start. From buying a rifle to getting gear and planning away. Not sure if anyone out there can help but literally I’m at step 1... maybe step 2 after writing this post lol.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How to get started ???

I guess specifically... a good first rifle ... for someone with no shooting experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieApocalypse View Post
    I guess specifically... a good first rifle ... for someone with no shooting experience.
    Anything in .22lr so you get the mechanics of shooting down. If you haven’t shot before I wouldn’t go any larger than that or you’re going to develop a flinch from the muzzle blast and recoil.

thanks for that advice... just to be clear... .22lr is too small a calibre to hunt with? so it would be just a practice gun?

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieApocalypse View Post
    thanks for that advice... just to be clear... .22lr is too small a calibre to hunt with? so it would be just a practice gun?
    You can hunt small game like rabbit and grouse with it. And yes it would be good for practice because ammo is cheap and plentiful.

I think a couple guys are assuming this, but you haven't actually stated it, have you completed your PAL and Hunter # courses? That would be the very first 2 steps as without a license to legally hunt or even own a firearm anything else is a moot point, unless a close friend or family member is into hunting and willing to take you out with them on an initiation license, if they are still offering those.

If you have both of those, then I agree with the others, start small and simple like a .22lr bolt action for practice as well as for grouse/rabbits etc and then once familiar and comfortable you can look into a centrefire rifle for big game. Again though, don't over do it. Start somewhere on the smaller end or middle of the road. A great shot with a smaller rifle is way better than a shaky/sketchy shot with even the biggest gun. Depending on where you live and what you intend to hunt anywhere from a .243 up to a .30-06 would be a good starter hunting rifle.

Next, once you are comfortable with your hunting rifle and ready to start hunting, the best thing is to find a mentor so to speak. Someone with at least a little more experience that is willing to have you tag along.
    Last edited by russm86; 04-25-2018 at 07:43 PM.

It's no substitute for a mentor, but as long as you have a BS filter, YouTube can be a help as well, and entertaining. Mostly for tips, and for how to's. Again, bring your filter, but really....there are some shitty mentors out there that you may need to filter as well. I don't disagree with anything said so far, but will go as far as to say go ahead and shoot some buddies rifles if you can too. I would stick to small .30s or 270....something in there so as not to develop a flinch.

prepare for an emotional reaction if you haven't killed anything, or large game at least....it can leave an emotional tag, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Most at of all, have fun, and pass it on
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Thanks for the input boys! I actually have my PAL and have for a few years... have yet to pull the trigger *cough* though lol. I haven't taken my hunters course yet but I do plan to. I have a friend who was PPCLI in the Canadian forces so he can teach me how to shoot at least. No one to show me how to hunt though or how to plan for it. I suppose a good start is to decide on which rifle to buy first. I live in the Fraser Valley and I hear there is good hunting nearby. I will definitely consider a .22lr. I suppose that is cheap enough... Anyone have any suggestions for a place to purchase in Vancouver/Fraser Valley for a good deal?

Take your CORE. Ask lots of questions. You will learn a lot just from that course. If you like reading, Steven Rinella has a couple books that are great for beginners... The complete guide to hunting (one volume is small game the other is big game).

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Anything in .22lr so you get the mechanics of shooting down. If you haven’t shot before I wouldn’t go any larger than that or you’re going to develop a flinch from the muzzle blast and recoil.
    This...and I assuming you've taken the CORE already and done your PAL? It's good to work on other skills in the wilderness too, knowing what equipment to bring when you go out there, fire building, navigation, etc..what other bush experience do you have?