Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mainline fishing line lb test on mooching reel

Re: Mainline fishing line lb test on mooching reel

I use 100lb braided power-pro mainline on an MR3, which is certainly overkill, but the 100lb braid is about the diameter of 20lb mono without the stretch, and doesn't seem to slip from the downrigger clip (unless you get your Smelly Jelly, Lunker Lotion or other scent on it, and then you might as well just change out your clip). I always use fluorocarbon leader: 30lb for spoons, bait, or other terminal tackle with its own action; 50lb for hoochies or other lures without action. With this setup I never lose fish due to the mainline breaking, but I still have to watch for pinches or damaged sections on the flurocarbon.

We also have new downriggers this year, so we'll be running big balls (20lb), which should help keep everything straight when those balls are deep
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    This is pretty much what we do now as well..
    Braid to 40 feet or so of 40lb mono.. enough that your clip is on the mono... braid is really slippery on clips ..
    Then 25lb leaders for winters and 40 for summers..

Braid cuts the water way nicer, since there is less drag on it when the rod is in the holder.. it doesnt pull yer balls outa wack when yer deep and in current.
    Ya the minimized drag is a huge benefit too, also cuts through kelp like butter without false tripping clip, but I also run my clips buried on the hard setting. Less false trips in general, the braid helps with tripping when mr Chinook is knocking at the door. When they do manage to trip it they've usually buried themselves. Offshore hook ups increased for me I bet 30% once I got the braid dialled in...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Your post asks about "mainline for a mooching reel". Is this in fact what you are asking, or are you asking about mainline for a trolling reel. Big difference. If it is a mooching reel (ie: cut plugging), 20 lb test line is more tan adequate and a 15 lb test leader. If its for a trolling reel, then I would agree that 30 lb test mainline is probably best. Keep in mind, it will depend on the actual rods action. Is the rod your using a soft, medium or fast action. Typically mooching rods are soft or slow action rods, so they are more forgiving when a fish makes a quick run.
    I just purchased Islander MR3 no fishing line yet. Be pairing it with my Sage 4120 drift rod. Mostly doing trolling around with flasher and bait or spoon. Still learning through Youtube about BC style trolling. Have not done any salmon salt water fishing for more than 40 years fishing since with my late high school teacher friend. Thanks for all advice guys.

Buddy got some electric Scotty downriggers.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

Quote Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
    I just purchased Islander MR3 no fishing line yet. Be pairing it with my Sage 4120 drift rod. Mostly doing trolling around with flasher and bait or spoon. Still learning through Youtube about BC style trolling. Have not done any salmon salt water fishing for more than 40 years fishing since with my late high school teacher friend. Thanks for all advice guys.

With your MR3, would advise you put a couple of hundred feet of backing on before you put the fishing line on. If you don't, over time the mono will tighten up and could crush or break the spool. As others have suggested, I would run 30 Lb test main line. That sage rod you have is a 12' drift rod. Should be a good set up. One more thing, after every trip on the water, wash down your reel with fresh water. Occasionally apply a small amount of neats foot oil on the cork drag. It will last you a long time that way, and work smoothly without binding or being grabby. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    With your MR3, would advise you put a couple of hundred feet of backing on before you put the fishing line on. If you don't, over time the mono will tighten up and could crush or break the spool. As others have suggested, I would run 30 Lb test main line. That sage rod you have is a 12' drift rod. Should be a good set up. One more thing, after every trip on the water, wash down your reel with fresh water. Occasionally apply a small amount of neats foot oil on the cork drag. It will last you a long time that way, and work smoothly without binding or being grabby. Good luck
    Tried everything on them sob mr3's. Got tired of taking them apart every other fricken day to dry off and grease drag cork. Now I just squirt some wd40 in there on the fly as needed. Havnt taken em apart for a couple years. They are a horrible reel when the cork drag is wet...
    30# mainline and leader works but you have to keep a close eye on it for knicks and abrasions. A spring on a full out run will part it easily, just with the resistance of the flasher. Been there done that...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Jesus what are you guys fishing for halibut, 25 lb mainline, 15-20 flouro leader. Islanders suck, longstones all the way, dick all maintenance, oh and mooching rules i dont even own a sportsdragging down rigger

Quote Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post

Check out ScreamingReelsTV on YouTube. That guy is local and covers how to catch chinook in the chick pretty well. Good for beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Jesus what are you guys fishing for halibut, 25 lb mainline, 15-20 flouro leader. Islanders suck, longstones all the way, dick all maintenance, oh and mooching rules i dont even own a sportsdragging down rigger
    Ya, just like the moochers at Ferrer. Hog the hole for half hr with a 15#er...

Troll a pile of flatties up also, many in the 50# range, several in the 80-110# range.

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Agree with you whole heartedly. When you learn to mooch, you learn to fish. Boy I miss cut plugging. Great sport.