Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mainline fishing line lb test on mooching reel

Re: Mainline fishing line lb test on mooching reel

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    do I sense some "fly fisher vs gear chucker " here? lol.
    I guess just a straight piece of bait off a rigger in 30 ft of water beside the kelp is no fun. Gotta have that chunk of lead on the mainline to feel the fish better? Real rocket surgery running a banana weight I tell ya...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    I guess just a straight piece of bait off a rigger in 30 ft of water beside the kelp is no fun. Gotta have that chunk of lead on the mainline to feel the fish better? Real rocket surgery running a banana weight I tell ya...
    Each to his own, but I will say this. Why do you need downriggers????? Downriggers, flashers,hoochies and plugs are all commercial fishing gear. I don't know how many times I have seen the downrigger crowd going up and down the coast in straight lines covering as much ground as possible. The minute one of them gets into a fish, the rest converge on that point, because they want to get into a fish too. Little to no consideration for the person playing a fish.

When I first started fishing, I was in that crowd. I did it for about 10 years and disregarded mooching as getting in my way. But then I tried mooching and was instantly hooked. As I stated before, when you learn to mooch, you learn to fish. As my brother who is a very accomplished fly fisherman, once observed while out fishing with me. He looked at all the trollers and said "what are these guys doing? they obviously don't know how to read the water. The fish are right over there. Learning to fish structure and read the water makes one, a much more productive fisherman, and gives one a feeling of accomplishment. I have never concentrated so hard, and been so fixed on a rod tip trolling as I did mooching. Mooching is about the art of the take. Learning how to present the bait, knowing when to load a fish onto the rod and when to strip. Once a fish is on, its not towing around a piece of plywood (flasher), which greatly handicaps the fish. Mooching you get the full meal deal. I have battled 30-40+ Lb springs for as long as an hour, before getting them to the boat. When your armed start getting sore, you know you got your moneys worth. I fish for the sport of it, and not for numbers. Unfortunately far to many guys on the water fish for "LIMITS" and "BIGGEST FISH". None of needs even one fish, but we are blessed with what was once an amazing fishery. Unfortunately in my opinion, far to many have taken this resource for granted. During a fishing season, I have never taken more than 4 or 5 fish, I have released a whole lot, hoping to have minimum impact on the runs. I always truly respected the resource and gave it great respect. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Lol, nope, not a chance. Or maybe i could imitate you and leave the boat in gear with the riggers down and have the fish get further and further away from the back of your boat, taking up the whole area Man what a great fight. It is the funnest way to fish by far, every take is different, the feel of the fish is amazing. Takes a hell of a lot more talent to fish this way, but if your desire is to go offshore to the highways and drag them up good for you. VLD get back into it, can toss you some pointers might even be able to talk me into parting with a longstone or two as i have 9 of them PM me if you want some info. In Renfrew there is maybe a dozen of us that still mooch and there aren't many days when the sporstdraggers out fish us. Its all about the fight
    Piperdown, thanks for the encouragement and kind words. I fished Renfrew back when it was all moochers, save 3 guides trolling. It was an amazing fishery. I also used to frequent Nitnat. Had some awesome days. Most of the moochers had great etiquette. When the trollers moved in, it got stressful and frustrating. You get a fish on and some guy with downriggers coming right at you head down, basically ignoring you, because hes coming in to get a fish. He doesn't understand mooching, he has no concept that chances are, the fish in the area your in don't want his anchovy, their feeding on larger bait. You yell at the guy to get his attention, and he keeps his head down and keeps coming directly at you. I would have to end up steering right into the guy to get his attention, and get him to alter course. Completely selfish and inconsiderate. I had enough of those experiences, that I stopped fishing there. Spent my last few years fishing kyuquot. Some of best mooching I have ever experienced, and know one around. Those fish would climb on, and when they finally realized they were hooked, would head for japan at high speed. Pretty exciting stuff. As I don't think Renfrew has gotten any better, I will watch from the shore for now. Hope you have a great season.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Each to his own, but I will say this. Why do you need downriggers????? Downriggers, flashers,hoochies and plugs are all commercial fishing gear. I don't know how many times I have seen the downrigger crowd going up and down the coast in straight lines covering as much ground as possible. The minute one of them gets into a fish, the rest converge on that point, because they want to get into a fish too. Little to no consideration for the person playing a fish.

When I first started fishing, I was in that crowd. I did it for about 10 years and disregarded mooching as getting in my way. But then I tried mooching and was instantly hooked. As I stated before, when you learn to mooch, you learn to fish. As my brother who is a very accomplished fly fisherman, once observed while out fishing with me. He looked at all the trollers and said "what are these guys doing? they obviously don't know how to read the water. The fish are right over there. Learning to fish structure and read the water makes one, a much more productive fisherman, and gives one a feeling of accomplishment. I have never concentrated so hard, and been so fixed on a rod tip trolling as I did mooching. Mooching is about the art of the take. Learning how to present the bait, knowing when to load a fish onto the rod and when to strip. Once a fish is on, its not towing around a piece of plywood (flasher), which greatly handicaps the fish. Mooching you get the full meal deal. I have battled 30-40+ Lb springs for as long as an hour, before getting them to the boat. When your armed start getting sore, you know you got your moneys worth. I fish for the sport of it, and not for numbers. Unfortunately far to many guys on the water fish for "LIMITS" and "BIGGEST FISH". None of needs even one fish, but we are blessed with what was once an amazing fishery. Unfortunately in my opinion, far to many have taken this resource for granted. During a fishing season, I have never taken more than 4 or 5 fish, I have released a whole lot, hoping to have minimum impact on the runs. I always truly respected the resource and gave it great respect. Just my thoughts.
    Be surprised how many springs I've caught over the years on just herring, no flasher, off the rigger boat out of gear.
    Its the same friggen thing as mooching, just controlled depth presentation. Seeing the take is just as fun as feeling it to me. And on the ebb riggers are sweet to go drag them lazy slabs out the dirt at 80ft off the kelp. Get a lot of springs mooching at 80ft? Or is that not reading the water?
    Springs are fun to catch, regardless of method. To say a downrigger takes no skill to run or eliminates the need to read the water? Hold on let me get my shovel for that pile of bs HA. I tie on s couple onces of weight, park the boat in the kelp on the flood where the bait is getting pounded by springs, count out the pulls and I'm an expert?
    Fly fisherman, I tell ya...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Be surprised how many springs I've caught over the years on just herring, no flasher, off the rigger boat out of gear.
    Its the same friggen thing as mooching, just controlled depth presentation. Seeing the take is just as fun as feeling it to me. And on the ebb riggers are sweet to go drag them lazy slabs out the dirt at 80ft off the kelp. Get a lot of springs mooching at 80ft? Or is that not reading the water?
    Springs are fun to catch, regardless of method. To say a downrigger takes no skill to run or eliminates the need to read the water? Hold on let me get my shovel for that pile of bs HA. I tie on s couple onces of weight, park the boat in the kelp on the flood where the bait is getting pounded by springs, count out the pulls and I'm an expert?
    Fly fisherman, I tell ya...
    As I said earlier each to his own. I have obviously touched a nerve here. Anyone who has mooched knows that a lot of the time, big springs will either take the bait very softly or just play with it. Knowing how to load them on and when to strip is a learned skill. Herring off a downrigger is mostly about just waiting for the line to release off the ball. And I would add, that if you are running just herring of your downrigger, why is it you need the downrigger. Fishing Poiler Pass, guys typically fish(mooch) down at 80 or 100 feet. It is a very lite take. Most times you are holding the rod to feel the take, as it is so lite. I will agree to disagree here, but still respect your skill sets.

As I said earlier each to his own. I have obviously touched a nerve here. Anyone who has mooched knows that a lot of the time, big springs will either take the bait very softly or just play with it. Knowing how to load them on and when to strip is a learned skill. Herring off a downrigger is mostly about just waiting for the line to release off the ball. And I would add, that if you are running just herring of your downrigger, why is it you need the downrigger. Fishing Poiler Pass, guys typically fish(mooch) down at 80 or 100 feet. It is a very lite take. Most times you are holding the rod to feel the take, as it is so lite. I will agree to disagree here, but still respect your skill sets.
    I understand the concept, but this is also where you're are mistaken with riggers. If you're waiting for it to pop off the clip you're missing a pile of fish. A trained eye can see them down there playing with the bait long before it starts bouncing or releases. It's a learned skill, very subtle takes are what springs often do. Knowing when to stop the boat, speed up, raise/lower rigger or just plain let him have it. I also often drag bait a lot slower than maybe you're accustomed to for riggers. And I have my doubts trying to keep mooching riggin at a consistent known depth and location on a 12 ft+ roaring tide. Slack or small tides sure, but I'd think a downrigger is a bit more precise.

Piperdown, thanks for the encouragement and kind words. I fished Renfrew back when it was all moochers, save 3 guides trolling. It was an amazing fishery. I also used to frequent Nitnat. Had some awesome days. Most of the moochers had great etiquette. When the trollers moved in, it got stressful and frustrating. You get a fish on and some guy with downriggers coming right at you head down, basically ignoring you, because hes coming in to get a fish. He doesn't understand mooching, he has no concept that chances are, the fish in the area your in don't want his anchovy, their feeding on larger bait. You yell at the guy to get his attention, and he keeps his head down and keeps coming directly at you. I would have to end up steering right into the guy to get his attention, and get him to alter course. Completely selfish and inconsiderate. I had enough of those experiences, that I stopped fishing there. Spent my last few years fishing kyuquot. Some of best mooching I have ever experienced, and know one around. Those fish would climb on, and when they finally realized they were hooked, would head for japan at high speed. Pretty exciting stuff. As I don't think Renfrew has gotten any better, I will watch from the shore for now. Hope you have a great season.
    Shoot me a pm if you are down this way, maybe get you out there again. So the guides, Orca 2, Strike One and Wg??? Good luck to you my friend
    Last edited by Piperdown; 04-27-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Yep talks cheap takes money to buy whiskey, Quote"caught thousands of fish on them" Unquote. Must need a big freezer for all those fish eh
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Shoot me a pm if you are down this way, maybe get you out there again. So the guides, Orca 2, Strike One and Wg??? Good luck to you my friend
    Piperdown Thanks for the offer. Will keep it in mind. The guides are as you say. I'm in Sooke, so not to far to meet up. Should get together for coffee some time. Take care and tight lines