Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mainline fishing line lb test on mooching reel

Mainline fishing line lb test on mooching reel

Just wondering what mainline lbs test you used on mooching reel? Friend recently purchased a pretty good size searun boat. We want to try trolling for salmon locally off UBC. Any suggesting? I am hardcore fresh water steelhead/salmon fisherman and I used super braid mainline. Have not used mono for years.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mainline fishing line lb test on mooching reel

I guided out of Sooke for 22 years and used 30 lb. mono on all the guests rods. A lot less fish were lost due to the stretch. On my own personal rod I loaded up with 30 lb Spider Wire and a 6' to 8' mono leader.

depending on target species i use 30lb mainline 25lb mono leader for salmon out of Port Alberni out to Bamfield and out in the broken Group. Hali rods spooled with 80 lb braid no problems in a lot of years.

Moose Milk do you used normal braid lines as backing for mono? Just like I used on my centerpin reels even through I used super braid.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

30lb main and 40lb leader when I go after big chinook. 30lb leader all other salmon.

Just because of the cost I have a backing on the reel and then the braided, and I use Fluorocarbon 50 lb. leader for the large boys. The stiffer leader gives more action to the lure. I even use it for Pinks and Sockeye as I can hand bomb em in and the thicker line dose not cut into into my fingers. Less chance of tooth cut line.

60# power pro braid mainline for me. Some backing to help fill up the arbor on the islander mr3's, then 300yds of braid, then 35ft of 40# mono spliced in with an Albright knot. Slides through the rod guides like butter. Fishing deep it can't be beat for strike indication and hooksets. The 35' of mono tagged on allows the use of rigger clips and gives a bit of stretch. The 60# lasted 3 summers guiding the first time around, tried 50# next and didn't last as long. Also run 40# fluorocarbon leaders, a bit stiffer than mono, handles abrasion better and a bit easier on the hands. 50# leaders are really nice for handling fish, and gives good lure action but I found too many springs were swimming away with the flasher.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    60# power pro braid mainline for me. Some backing to help fill up the arbor on the islander mr3's, then 300yds of braid, then 35ft of 40# mono spliced in with an Albright knot. Slides through the rod guides like butter. Fishing deep it can't be beat for strike indication and hooksets. The 35' of mono tagged on allows the use of rigger clips and gives a bit of stretch. The 60# lasted 3 summers guiding the first time around, tried 50# next and didn't last as long. Also run 40# fluorocarbon leaders, a bit stiffer than mono, handles abrasion better and a bit easier on the hands. 50# leaders are really nice for handling fish, and gives good lure action but I found too many springs were swimming away with the flasher.
    This is pretty much what we do now as well..
    Braid to 40 feet or so of 40lb mono.. enough that your clip is on the mono... braid is really slippery on clips ..
    Then 25lb leaders for winters and 40 for summers..

Braid cuts the water way nicer, since there is less drag on it when the rod is in the holder.. it doesnt pull yer balls outa wack when yer deep and in current.

Your post asks about "mainline for a mooching reel". Is this in fact what you are asking, or are you asking about mainline for a trolling reel. Big difference. If it is a mooching reel (ie: cut plugging), 20 lb test line is more tan adequate and a 15 lb test leader. If its for a trolling reel, then I would agree that 30 lb test mainline is probably best. Keep in mind, it will depend on the actual rods action. Is the rod your using a soft, medium or fast action. Typically mooching rods are soft or slow action rods, so they are more forgiving when a fish makes a quick run.

Excellent advice! I hate it when my balls get pulled outa wack.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    This is pretty much what we do now as well..
    Braid to 40 feet or so of 40lb mono.. enough that your clip is on the mono... braid is really slippery on clips ..
    Then 25lb leaders for winters and 40 for summers..

Braid cuts the water way nicer, since there is less drag on it when the rod is in the holder.. it doesnt pull yer balls outa wack when yer deep and in current.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln