Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Block vs Bag targets?

Re: Block vs Bag targets?

block for me personally

The Rinehart 18-1 "block with 18 faces" is an excellent target for sighting in the bow with broadheads and taking along in the truck on a hunt to shoot a few arrows a day. I got quite a few years out of my first one and the second is in good shape for being two years old.

The Morrell bag targets are tough. Hang them up off of the ground...for "give" when you shoot them and for protection from ground moisture. I also like to cover it with a bit of a roof to keep them from getting saturated from rain/snow, then frozen solid in the winter (can't use them frozen...too hard on arrows). They sell replacement covers that go over the original when they are shot out...I got my replacement online for fairly cheap.

Cool Re: Block vs Bag targets?

Easy enough to make your own bag target.
    Simply get an empty feed bag from a local rancher, cut it to size, then pack it full of old clothing (no zippers or buttons!), sleeping bags, waders, whatever. Pack tightly that is, then sew shut. Spray paint on some bullseyes, and off you go. The surface of the feed bag "self heals" as it sits following a shooting seassion. I've had mine for many years now, and it is pretty much as serviceable as the day I put it together.

Inexpensive, durable, and arrows are a breeze to pull out of it.
    This things stops 400 grain arrows from my Matrix 380 at 20 yards cold btw.

You don't want to shoot broadheads at that though or it will be a mess right pronto!
    You will need a block for those.
    And btw, do NOT shoot your own block with Toxic broadheads!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Block is superior to the bag. I've got lots of years shooting a bag. Arrows and tips can get hung up when pulling them out of a bag. Block is much lighter, sits anywhere, easier to tote around and you can shoot broadheads at them. You'll likely need to prop the bag up against something, like a tree and get pissed off when your arrow embeds in the tree.
    Canadian Tire sells blocks cheaper and they work just fine.

If your arrow hangs up in a bag target (mine will hangup since I shoot outserts), rotate it while pulling back on it until it comes out.