Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rainwear

Rainwear

Looking for some suggestions on some new rainwear for the backcountry. Ideally looking for something relatively lightweight while still retaining waterproof/breathable qualities. Also not having camo patterns would be ideal as I tend to use most of my gear for dual duty in the city/backcountry.

I've been looking at the First Lite SEAK series and the Kuiu rain gear but our dollar makes it difficult to justify the amount of money.

Thanks,
    Jackdaw
    BCWF Member
    BHA Member
    WSSBC Member

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rainwear

If you're looking at high end like Kuiu then Arcteryx is an excellent Canadian option. Superb quality but definitely not cheap either. Online sales can be had for pretty good deals depending on your size. Google "the last hunt" website

I have the first lite vapour stormtight, super light, breathable and dry. Worth the money imo

@twoSevenO: Ideally I'm looking to spend a little less than what the Arcteryx's and First Lite's of the world want me to spend. After paying for an Exo pack and still having to pick up a sleeping pad and tent this season, I'm trying to save on whatever I can. That being said, I'm interested to find out what people are running for gear in our rainy climate and am willing to commit the cash if need be.

@oilcountry: Have you found any problems with the fabric leaking? I've found a few of my ultralight jackets over the years have given me troubles in sustained rain like we get on the coast
    BCWF Member
    BHA Member
    WSSBC Member

Marmot minimalist jacket gets great reviews and is a decent price.
    I got an Eddy Bauer rain jacket last year that’s light weight and worked well for me last fall on back pack hunts/ hiking. It was on sale 50% off when I got it. They have sales fairly often.

I run with the good ol' Viking "Forester" rainwear from Mark's Work Warehouse. It's water proof, durable, looks good and cheap! Jacket and pants for under $200, I think. I've been wearing mine for many years now and still keeping me dry.

Check out Columbia outDry. It gets great reviews and is not as expensive as some of the others. According to reviews, it does not “wetout” like other waterproof/breathables tend to. I bought a jacket last season for the mountains but never hit bad enough weather to really test it.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 04-24-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Buy it second hand. Keep your eye open and pick up new stuff for half the price. It takes longer but you’ll save a ton.

I have been using Taiga gear. Jacket and pants
    Jacket has been great but pants are super uncomfortable.

I see you live in Vancouver. If you can make the trip to North Vancouver to Arctyeryx factory outlet its worth checking out some good deals to be had