Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for golden lab pups

Re: Looking for golden lab pups

Thx Rhinoceros

Buddy of mine didnt want to pay for a good certified pup, 4 years old blew both acl, hips were ****ed, couldnt be trained, I could have told him from day one the dog looked like dobby from HP and wasnt no papered dog....(never got the papers he was "promised". Your choice, $10,000 to save a dog you are attached to and love or pay for a dog that works. Its the sad reality of working dogs, they are a machine, they need to be treated as such working machines capable of incredible things.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Discoverer View Post
    + 100 this ^ If you can't afford $1500 (which is VERY reasonable btw) - DO NOT BUY A DOG!
    disagree, who are you, and why would you even say this? Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by primmer View Post
    Thx Rhinoceros
    You asked for advise and you don't like it. Time for you piss off troll.

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    disagree, who are you, and why would you even say this? Moosin
    Ill respond to this. Ethical breeding requires a number of tests to help insure that genetic defects won't be passed on to the pups......all costs money. Many people breeding will, for various reasons, use a side by side AI prodeecure which requires analysis of semen and progesterone tests......more money.

Ethical breeders will insure that the parents are a suitable match. This means that the characteristics being passed on to the offspring are of desirable quality. They insure that inbreeding doesn't occur. This requires having at least a 3 generation pedigree on each parent to know the ancestors and any potential problems and base breeding decisions partly on this.

Whelping does not always go well. Sometimes veterinary intervention is required again costing money. Sometimes the pups die or the bitch gets blocked up....lots of things can and do go wrong.

Registration of pups with an accredited data base such as CKC and having purebred registration accompany each pup again costs money. This is necessary for the breeding of future generations...again to help insure health and quality characteristics.

Paying for the stud dogs services is another cost. Ethical breeders will insure genetic and health suitability and search out a qualified stud. This costs money. Good studs aren't free.

Generally at least four pups need to be born to break even in the costs for ethical breeding. After that if nothing else goes wrong there is profit to be had.

You can argue all the back woods, hillbilly logic you want that none of this is necessary and indeed it isn't if you don't give a rats ass about ethics. Go to your kijiji and buy that 200 or 500 dollar pup and good luck. As they say, whatever floats your boat.

For those that actually care about breeding healthy pups, free of genetic defects and possessing the characteristics associated with that particular breed.......it's going to cost to do it properly.

The initial cost of a pup is a fraction of what the overall, lifetime costs will be when you factor in food, vet care and all the other costs asociated with proper canine care. An unhealthy genetically inferior dog will cost a lot more at the end of the trail unless you're prepared to keep shooting the ones that don't turn out.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

$1500 seems to be the going rate for labs around here... and if you think about it, it's a bargain really. My brother for example is getting a "boutique" Poodle/Border Collie cross and the pups go for $2500 USD in Oregon. Personally, I'd rather get two labs with good genetics and health guarantees than some fancy shmancy cross breed.

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Ill respond to this. Ethical breeding requires a number of tests to help insure that genetic defects won't be passed on to the pups......all costs money. Many people breeding will, for various reasons, use a side by side AI prodeecure which requires analysis of semen and progesterone tests......more money.

Ethical breeders will insure that the parents are a suitable match. This means that the characteristics being passed on to the offspring are of desirable quality. They insure that inbreeding doesn't occur. This requires having at least a 3 generation pedigree on each parent to know the ancestors and any potential problems and base breeding decisions partly on this.

Whelping does not always go well. Sometimes veterinary intervention is required again costing money. Sometimes the pups die or the bitch gets blocked up....lots of things can and do go wrong.

Registration of pups with an accredited data base such as CKC and having purebred registration accompany each pup again costs money. This is necessary for the breeding of future generations...again to help insure health and quality characteristics.

Paying for the stud dogs services is another cost. Ethical breeders will insure genetic and health suitability and search out a qualified stud. This costs money. Good studs aren't free.

Generally at least four pups need to be born to break even in the costs for ethical breeding. After that if nothing else goes wrong there is profit to be had.

You can argue all the back woods, hillbilly logic you want that none of this is necessary and indeed it isn't if you don't give a rats ass about ethics. Go to your kijiji and buy that 200 or 500 dollar pup and good luck. As they say, whatever floats your boat.

For those that actually care about breeding healthy pups, free of genetic defects and possessing the characteristics associated with that particular breed.......it's going to cost to do it properly.

The initial cost of a pup is a fraction of what the overall, lifetime costs will be when you factor in food, vet care and all the other costs asociated with proper canine care. An unhealthy genetically inferior dog will cost a lot more at the end of the trail unless you're prepared to keep shooting the ones that don't turn out.
    THIS, sums it up, absolutely the long and short of it. I will not breed with a dog that hasn't 1-passed all its genetic tests(Hips- $125, Eyes- $75, DNA testing $475US) 2- Proves the dog is worthy of breeding (temperament, working ability) that is 3 years of hurry up and wait, looking after and training that may or may not pan out. 3-Stud fee- $1000-$1500, 4 Ultra sound for the bitch, Registration and health care and shots for the pups $100-$200(each). Basic training of the pups(socialization, gun break, retrieving, and house training) Believe me we do it for love NOT money.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 04-25-2018 at 07:33 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I suppose I did not "interpret" what you were saying. I've had a few good dogs, non purebred by CKC rules, but from non registered purbreds? All pets so to speak, they did accompany me in the woods as I did my job, so I called them working dogs. $400 is the most I payed for my golden, and my black lab, each. So when you say $1500, I'm like, whoa dude, my dogs were beauties, and my golden was a crazy hard working intelligent dog! I understand your guys passion, and I respect your ethics, but not everyone can afford that kind of $$$, so they shouldn't have them? Anyways, again, I respect your guys passion, ethics, and commitment to your breeds! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Ill add in one point that most people don't think about. For every dog that is picked up off a "backyard breeder" another 5 end up getting returned or sent to the pound because of health issues, temperament and irresponsible owners. Responsible breeding cost money, we owe it to the dogs we love and respect and trust as hard working hunting partners, service dogs or working dogs in general. Responsible breeding isn't just about a dog that performs, its about the respect for the animals and their health.

This will teach you for posting about dogs on this site !!