Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looking for golden lab pups

Re: Looking for golden lab pups

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    This will teach you for posting about dogs on this site !!
    I believe that everyone was respectful and posted information to help the OP. Only lesson here was If you ask a question prepare to get an answer, and it may not be the one you are looking for.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    disagree, who are you, and why would you even say this? Moosin
    I am the breeder and I know exactly how much it cost to produce and train a working dog.
    Yes, you can get lucky with $100 - $400 pup, but the odds aren’t in your favor. The unfortunate reality is most of these over the fence crossbreed will have either the health issues, unsuitable aptitude or behavior problems that you as the new owner will have to deal with. And that “dealing” isn’t cheap, and obviously people who buy a dog on a small budget at a first place are not prepared to spend thousands (sometimes even tens of thousands) dollars on puppy classes, trainers, vets, medication, etc.
    So where this puppy will end up? Farmer's land if they are lucky, but most in shelters and 90% of those will be euthanized within first 2 years and it’s not my guess, this is an official statistic. That’s why I said if you cannot afford $1500, don’t buy a dog or you’ll be very sorry (or play the Russian roulette if you are feeling lucky … )
    Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Discoverer View Post
    I am the breeder and I know exactly how much it cost to produce and train a working dog.
    Yes, you can get lucky with $100 - $400 pup, but the odds aren’t in your favor. The unfortunate reality is most of these over the fence crossbreed will have either the health issues, unsuitable aptitude or behavior problems that you as the new owner will have to deal with. And that “dealing” isn’t cheap, and obviously people who buy a dog on a small budget at a first place are not prepared to spend thousands (sometimes even tens of thousands) dollars on puppy classes, trainers, vets, medication, etc.
    So where this puppy will end up? Farmer's land if they are lucky, but most in shelters and 90% of those will be euthanized within first 2 years and it’s not my guess, this is an official statistic. That’s why I said if you cannot afford $1500, don’t buy a dog or you’ll be very sorry (or play the Russian roulette if you are feeling lucky … )
    That's why most of the rescue dogs are problem dogs, in and out of the shelters. Conflicting personalities and agresion are way to common in a mixed breeds or back yard breeders not caring enough for health and conformation of their pups. There is this smalish so called labradoodle mutt that is bent on destroying my Rhodesian in a dog park(twice smaller than my dog). If my dog was not properly raised or aggressive, this little mutt would end up in a veterinarian emergency long time ago. Way to often dogs display insecurities of their owners.

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Ill respond to this. Ethical breeding requires a number of tests to help insure that genetic defects won't be passed on to the pups......all costs money. Many people breeding will, for various reasons, use a side by side AI prodeecure which requires analysis of semen and progesterone tests......more money.

Ethical breeders will insure that the parents are a suitable match. This means that the characteristics being passed on to the offspring are of desirable quality. They insure that inbreeding doesn't occur. This requires having at least a 3 generation pedigree on each parent to know the ancestors and any potential problems and base breeding decisions partly on this.

Whelping does not always go well. Sometimes veterinary intervention is required again costing money. Sometimes the pups die or the bitch gets blocked up....lots of things can and do go wrong.

Registration of pups with an accredited data base such as CKC and having purebred registration accompany each pup again costs money. This is necessary for the breeding of future generations...again to help insure health and quality characteristics.

Paying for the stud dogs services is another cost. Ethical breeders will insure genetic and health suitability and search out a qualified stud. This costs money. Good studs aren't free.

Generally at least four pups need to be born to break even in the costs for ethical breeding. After that if nothing else goes wrong there is profit to be had.

You can argue all the back woods, hillbilly logic you want that none of this is necessary and indeed it isn't if you don't give a rats ass about ethics. Go to your kijiji and buy that 200 or 500 dollar pup and good luck. As they say, whatever floats your boat.

For those that actually care about breeding healthy pups, free of genetic defects and possessing the characteristics associated with that particular breed.......it's going to cost to do it properly.

The initial cost of a pup is a fraction of what the overall, lifetime costs will be when you factor in food, vet care and all the other costs asociated with proper canine care. An unhealthy genetically inferior dog will cost a lot more at the end of the trail unless you're prepared to keep shooting the ones that don't turn out.
    Thank you... Lab Guy.