Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mag limit?

Mag limit?

Is there a semiauto center fire mag limit for hunting big game in BC?
    I know shotgun is limited to 2+1for birds, but not sure about using a 10 round pistol mag in a semi for big game.
    Thx

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mag limit?

5 round unless it's marked as a pistol magazine
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    So there are no mag limits for hunting big game with a semi?

I don't believe there is, check page 17 in regs
    Last edited by todbartell; 04-23-2018 at 10:33 AM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Not in BC.

AB there is tho.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hunting the promised land

The federal law states that 5 rounds is the max mag capacity for a center fire semi, as you say for big game I assume you don't mean a 17/22 rim fire(which as stated can hold more than 5 if it is not a pistol compatible mag). Not sure why anyone would need more than 5 shots for big game but in a semi, that's all your mag can hold under federal law, so while it may not be indicated in the game regs, under federal law it is illegal to possess a mag for semi auto center fire rifle so long for short, yes it's illegal to posses let alone hunt with...

handgunsMagazines designed to contain rimfire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a rifle do not have a regulated capacity. However, magazines designed to contain rimfire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic handgun are limited to 10 cartridges. Magazines designed or manufactured for use in both rifles and semiautomatic handguns are subject to the handgun limit of 10 cartridges.
    Example:
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 rifle and 15-22P pistol chambered for 22LR caliber:

• the 10 round magazine is unregulated
    • the 25 round magazine is a prohibited device

Example 2*: The Ruger BX-25 magazine, chambered for 22 LR calibre, is designed and manufactured for use in the Ruger SR22 rifle, the 10/22 family of rifles/carbines and the 22 Charger handgun. As a result, this magazine is a prohibited device unless modified so its capacity is 10 cartridges or less. (*This information was not included in the original version of this bulletin, but was added on 2013-09-05.)

2. Magazines designed or manufactured for both centrefire calibre rifles and handguns
    Magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic rifle are limited to five cartridges. However, magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic handgun are limited to 10 cartridges. Magazines designed or manufactured for use in both semiautomatic rifles and semiautomatic handguns are subject to the limit of five cartridges.
    Example:
    Hi-Point rifle and handgun chambered for 9mm Luger caliber:

• magazine capacities over five rounds are prohibited.

3. Magazines designed or manufactured for both centrefire calibre semiautomatic rifles and other (non-semiautomatic) rifles
    Magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic rifle are limited to five cartridges. However, magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a rifle other than a semiautomatic or automatic rifle, do not have a regulated capacity. Magazines that are designed or manufactured for use in both semiautomatic rifles and other (non-semiautomatic) rifles are subject to the semiautomatic rifle limit of five cartridges
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 04-24-2018 at 08:44 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    Is there a semiauto center fire mag limit for hunting big game in BC?
    I know shotgun is limited to 2+1for birds, but not sure about using a 10 round pistol mag in a semi for big game.
    Thx
    It’s completely legal for you to use your 10 round pistol magazine in your centerfire semi auto rifle to hunt big game in BC
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    It’s completely legal for you to use your 10 round pistol magazine in your centerfire semi auto rifle to hunt big game in BC
    Great. ...I picked up a 10 round XCR-M pistol mag and it functions perfectly in my BCL 102.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    Great. ...I picked up a 10 round XCR-M pistol mag and it functions perfectly in my BCL 102.
    Nice...How do you like your 102? Any pics?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!