Thread: Island guy looking for some general pointers

Island guy looking for some general pointers

Hi,

I've been hunting a few years now on Vancouver Island. Got a bear last season but haven't been able to get any deer yet. This year I'm planning on a 8-10 day trip into some better hunting country somewhere in BC with a couple friends.

Currently we are researching the best location and timeframe. I know 8 days isn't a ton of time to hit an area that is new to us but it's the longest we can make happen. We will all be rifle hunting and I'm trying to get an idea of our options for good deer opportunities but also have an option for Moose or Elk. We will have a couple trucks and quads but are comfortable putting some miles on the boots.

We would want to drive to the location so not going too far north, and cutting into our hunt time, would be preferred; however, if it got us into an amazing area I would consider it. There seems to be tons of options which is great... but also makes it hard to weigh any pros/cons when it's all unknown to me..

I looked into 8-12/8-14 just based on a spot someone told me about and an October 8-16 gives a great range for different species opportunities but may be a little on the early side and I'm hearing that going north would be the way to go if I was really looking for Moose.

Being from the Island, access to the backcountry is a bit of an issue but is it safe to assume that most inland/north MU's in BC will be much better for easy access? Because we won't have time to scout ahead of time I'm worried we might put in all this effort and run into gates everywhere.

Looking for any general tips you all might have. Specific info would be awesome but I'm happy with whatever you might feel like sharing.

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Island guy looking for some general pointers

Just a thought but if what you are looking for is to have the best chance at getting your first deer maybe try heading north.You have to catch a ferry off island anyways so why not drive to Port Hardy and catch a ferry to Rupert? Turn your truck around in the parking lot and then get on the Haida Gwaii ferry. If you time your ferry properly you can get on a night ferry and you can get a very comfortable cabin to sleep and shower in. You will wake up on the island ready to hunt and you will save a ton on fuel. More importantly you will definitely get deer. You and your hunting buddy's stand a better than average chance of tagging out (5 each). Not to say that you shouldn't head to the region 8 (I will be hunting 8 also) but I wouldn't miss out on filling the freezer with tasty little sitka blacktails in September.

Play LEH, and after that start looking at GOS. A trip to Haida Gwai for deer and fish could be worse. If looking for moose/elk you just have to go for it and figure it out, things are in rapid change in BC for wildlife so learn on the go. Find a general area and tear it apart on google earth, give yourself plans A, B, and C. Have fun, buy tags for everything legal and post a good story when done

If your looking for a nice sized mule deer or Bighorn sheep always apply for Kamloops Region LEH each season. And LEH Moose around Kamloops.
    -- apply for the Cali Ram any size LEH and or whad ever you can beside the North Shore of Kammy-- and you can see a mule buck also while looking for your full curl with a swirl Cali Ram, they have been seen by locals. Plus go for LEH mules in that LEH sheep zone.
    Jel -- Kamloops LEH sheep, Leh Moose and mules is a no brainer for applying on line, fill it out, pay the cash, and see if you win the Grand Salami, the LEH Ram and the mule.
    ---Good luck you and your buddies could be in Kamloops Hunting Paradise in hours and stay near Kammy and go out and find the ram -- moose or mule.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 04-24-2018 at 07:57 AM. Reason: YOU HAVE TO PULL THE TRIGGER