Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/U shotgun for waterfowl

O/U shotgun for waterfowl

Any one here have experience with any of the synthetic O/U shotguns?

Yes I realize most use semiauto or pumps(own a pump already) so no need for the great debate on what action is best for waterfowl

Want an O/U for their simplicity and maybe I am a little strange lol

So if you have experience with O/U’s interested in hearing recommendations or ones to avoid

2. Site Sponsor

Re: O/U shotgun for waterfowl

Which synthetic ones are you looking at? I have a 20 gauge OU and a 10g SXS. Neither are synthetic but my break guns are wood and walnut and I only hunt them for fun on occasion. My serious duck gun is a SBEIII. I used to shoot better with them because I knew I had two shots to make it count, with a semi I used to just pop away, even subconsciously knowing I would miss the trigger finger wants to shoot that last round. After time and practice I shoot equally well with any of my scatter guns. Simplicity only goes so far, a bit of mud or dirt and the action wont lock or close tight and it doesnt take much.

never hunted with over and unders, but if I were considering one for hunting, I would look at a Browning Cynergy. Not sure, but I think they made or make one in stainless.

Does not seem to be a lot of options in synthetic o/u shot guns

Browning cynergy and cz swamp magnum have my interest but early in research so no real choice yet

I have always liked break actions for simplicity and keeping control of spent shells. Plus shooting lefty I am already I often resorted to rh shot guns and it’s annoying having shells fly past my face

Plus I just like things a little different lol

I use a Citori for waterfowl. Made the switch 5 years ago and would never go back.

At first I thought the 2 shots vs 3 would be a drawback, but I actually bag more birds because I make my shots count that much more knowing I've only got 2.

It's really nice laying in a layout blind because I just leave my action open and throw in either #4s or BBs depending on if a flock of ducks or geese is up next on the horizon.

My dad and one of my buddies has followed suit after hunting with me.

I have a Stoeger condor supreme that I used for quite a number of years for waterfowl when living on the west coast rock
    used it for trap and skeet as well as upland
    love it.
    Out in alberta here I got myself a Rem semi for the third shot capability.
    Still use the O/U for upland
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

My choice of O/U would be Winchester 101, fit, quality and a fine O/U with single select trigger, very nice feature.
    Research ejectors and extractors and make decision based on findings
    LOP is important to skeet shooters, but it's easily adjustable.
    Browning Citori, as recommended above, is another great choice and should be handled.
    If uncertain, purchase a Stoeger, Baikal, or others for less than $500 used and you can feel it out.
    Likely get money back if sold to upgrade or just a change of heart.
    synthetic reduces your options, good luck
    Last edited by Blainer; 04-22-2018 at 08:22 AM.
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

I used to duck hunt out of a kayak and I didn't want empty hulls flying over board so i picked up a stoeger condor. Not the prettiest gun but fit pretty good and it is easy to clean/dry after a day in the mud or rain. Only real negative I had with it was the weight but wasn't walking with it all day so it was fine
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

I hunt with the cynergy wicked wings o/u. Shot show special this year.
    love it! But it stays home for goose hunts where I want the 3rd shot

guest Guest

The Citori is a Wonderful O/U to shoot, hunting afield ,trap , skeet.

Lots of different options available too