Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Time of Day for Spring Bear?

Best Time of Day for Spring Bear?

I've never really set out on a day-trip Spring bear hunt, and was wondering what the best time of day is for Black Bear activity?

From what I understand they're waking up and they're hungry. They're heading below the snowline into warmer altitudes for now seeking out food, does this make them fairly active throughout the day or do they tend to stick to morning/evening activity like other wildlife?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best Time of Day for Spring Bear?

I have herd that in the spring, the best time to see them is in the afternoon on a sunny slop. However, the 2 bear I have harvested over the last several years, have both been in the morning. I think if you find fresh scat, just hunt the area and you will find them.

Pemby_mess Guest

Yeah the afternoon seems to be when they're most actively feeding in my experience, but seem quite generally diurnal in the spring.

They're hungry, if there's food and you find scat, find a good spot to sit and keep looking. For me time of day mean less with bear than other game. You may even try a rabbit call. My spring bear 2 years back came 400+ yards for bunny, he was sick of grass. Thankfully he did all the uphill work. 50 yards from the road make my bit easy.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Anytime ,but late afternoon seems best,but only look uphill....you don't even look downhill ....( you make that mistake just once)

Depends on how hot but if it’s not blazing hot then pretty much anytime afternoon-dark

I have watched more bears than I have shot. I have been spring bear hunting for the last four years, but I have only shot one bear because up until last year I wasn't sure if we would eat the meat so I passed on a number of them and instead spent many days observing and finding them. I'm with Fella. If it gets too hot they bed down. They don't seem to rise super early, but I have seen a ton of bears around 10:30-11:00. The nice cinnamon I shot last year was at 11:15 in mid June and it was mowing the grass like a lawn mower. Find scat. Follow scat. Shoot bear. Find scat. Follow scat. Sit. Wait. Shoot bear. Repeat.

I agree that mid afternoon to dark is the best. I also find they come out after it rains so don't dismiss days that are forecasting showers in the afternoon

Well I am going to contradict most guys, and this is based only on my own experiences.
    I’ve seen way more bears, and especially more large bears, early. I’m not talking 6 or 7 am. I’m talking get up at 3am, and be hunting that first light at 4am, 5am etc depending what part of the season. Even more apparent with grizzlies, when we could hunt them.
    Bears do not sleep in in my experience. It’s just that most people’s idea of early is not early enough.
    Twist and pull.

Hmm thinking back over 40 years. .
    First hour in morning for grizzlies. .
    By far the last hour of light in the day.for black bears..
    That low light final hour is golden..
    Once they hit the skunk cabbage. .fiddleheads..then its food on time..less food more time needed..look for secluded remote quiet areas with green..watch wind AND thermals stay till black.
    Good luck
    Steven