Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squamish Elk

Squamish Elk

Hi guys,

My friends and I have decided to give elk hunting a go this year. Because we've never hunted them or experienced elk we decided not to LEH but to just try the open season in the Kootenays. To prepare for it a bit we want to try to bump into the elk in Squamish, thats the closest place to where we live to encounter elk. Anyone have any tips on finding these guys so we can observe them and get to know what we're looking for?

Thanks a bunch in advance

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Squamish Elk

Drive up the upper Squamish river, and start looking. I’ve run into that herd at Culiton Creek as well, but they are more down by the river I believe.

We ran into a herd in 8-1 today. 9 healthy elk.
    Last edited by Redthies; 04-20-2018 at 06:41 AM.

aldergrove game farm..
    leave the soon to be calving elk alone would be best.

Go for walk in the trail network beside the Adventure Center - they were hanging out there about two weeks ago.

I'm with Walks with Deer - it's a small herd in an area without much land mass (lots of rivers/oceans and steep mountains) - maybe let them chill until end of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by markathome View Post
    Go for walk in the trail network beside the Adventure Center - they were hanging out there about two weeks ago.

I'm with Walks with Deer - it's a small herd in an area without much land mass (lots of rivers/oceans and steep mountains) - maybe let them chill until end of summer.
    Oh ok, I wasn't planning on getting real close and pushing them or anything. Just watching with my binos from a distance. I don't want to stress them at all, just to learn through observation.

and thanks for the comments guys I guess I'll just try and find them when I'm driving around up there

Drive the valley road at last light and look just in the tree line. Seen over 40 last night.

they tend to bed on Northern slopes as well

Check the farmers fields right before the Squamish river FSR

I think if you spend a little time, driving and walking, you should find them.
    Note that this is a different species of Elk than you will encounter in the Kootneys.
    Its also very much different terrain, Rain Forrest compared to some amazing mountainous terrain.
    If taking time to study these Squamish elk, it only makes sense to put your name in the draw.
    Good luck
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”