Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When nothing goes right, g̶o̶ ̶l̶e̶f̶t̶ go bear hunting

Re: When nothing goes right, g̶o̶ ̶l̶e̶f̶t̶ go bear hunting

pack up the old car and get at er! quite a few spots you can get into the hunt for bears near LML that ive taken my 2002 civic into. just pack a tarp lol. if you still havent gotten out near the end of may, send me a pm, will take you up to a honey hole close to home if the timing works.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    payout took two weeks for my wifes car last november..

if it doesnt come through by may long weekend you and your son can come up to kamloops and i will take you in my truck....
    if you dont get one in the mountains we can just shoot one out of the neighbours alfalfa feild with the rifle.

dead serious.

pm your phone number...
    I was in an accident a few years back and remember experiencing a similar time frame, this time I involved lawyers and ICBC seems to be dragging their heels as much as possible because of it. Will hope for the best but can't hurt to plan for the worst, looks like your inbox is full but will send a pm once its cleared up.

Thanks FortBoy, really appreciate the offer...there are some spots I've taken my cavalier where I've seen decent amounts of bear sign but during the fall salmon run. Not sure how productive they'll be in the spring but will be trying to get up there for a poke around asap once I get it back on the road.

headed to van for family emergency accident that did not go aswell as yours buy i assure you soumds like your trying hard..and my offer is scencir..i will bring my 8 and 6 year old and sausage for lunch and have a cabin for you and boy.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    headed to van for family emergency accident that did not go aswell as yours buy i assure you soumds like your trying hard..and my offer is scencir..i will bring my 8 and 6 year old and sausage for lunch and have a cabin for you and boy.
    Sorry to hear that, hope all goes well and watch out for the vancouver drivers. Shoot me a pm when your inbox is cleared up, have a message on ice for you.

Drivers get cars back all the way up most of the sea to sky logging roads you could get your old car up there for sure

Yes I have shot many bears hunting out of a car deer too..

than again I have shot them while wearing a suite too...

including in the tricitys with my bow after work. lol

Squamish River FSR is easily navigated in a car. Park on the main road and walk up spurs or just cruise the main road and keep your eyes peeled for the terrain you want to hunt.

There is a decent number of bears and they are starting to move around.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

It’s a pain hunting from a car but many have done it. You are restricted to good FSRs. For hauling a bear home debone and put meat in Rubbermaid totes. Hide bring a good tarp with no holes

If you were up my way I would offer to take you out bear hunting

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Squamish River FSR is easily navigated in a car. Park on the main road and walk up spurs or just cruise the main road and keep your eyes peeled for the terrain you want to hunt.

There is a decent number of bears and they are starting to move around.
    Ya I have a few spots up there the cav can make it close enough to, got a few on trail cam up there that I would love to seal the deal on. Anybody have any insight on whether or not glassing sections of the riverbanks themselves at last light could be productive? I know some that seem to be used as bear highways at some times of the year but not sure about early spring. Found a South facing cut block up there that I had a good feeling about but unfortunately its out of reach for the car, packing a bear down wouldn't be unreasonable under normal circumstances but could potentially turn into a real nightmare with my back not being 100% at the moment due to the accident.

Good call on the totes Wild One, have a bunch at work and will definitely bring some up just in case. Appreciate the tips nonetheless and am thankful to be a part of such a generous community, you guys are all MVPs in my books!

Well, made it up this weekend, had to bring the kid along and definitely wasn't able to go quite as hard as I would by myself but he trooped it out and certainly keeps things interesting along the way, always great campfire company...yes, he's eating horsetail, seeing what all the fuss is about lol.

First thing Friday evening we went and changed the batteries on a trail cam that was dead last time I went up. Lesson learned to always keep a fresh set with me, pile of scat less than 20 yards from the cam, just a small one though. Found a few more piles of scat that looked to be 100% grass that evening and lots of horsetail and skunk cabbage but no fresh tracks around the river.

Next day we checked out an old spur road and found a pile of scat with logs as thick as a water bottle within half a km, game on. Quite a bit of grass and clover on the roads with dandelions here and there, wind in our face, things are looking good. Caddisguy had included a close up of some nipped grass in one of his videos a while back and with that visual aid I could see that they were taking bites here and there but not doing the "walking lawnmower" routine. Saw lots of green berries and the area should be on fire once they ripen up but not sure when exactly that would be, if anyone has any insight that would be great.

Didn't see any bears at the end of the weekend but got some good scouting in, got to learn the thermals a bit better and saw a herd of about 8 cow elk at no more than 25 yards on our way out so that was a cool experience for the kid. Super impressed with his tenacity on the mountain, yesterday alone we hiked 13km in total up to 1200ft of elevation and although I did hear a few complaints about tired legs here and there I doubt I would have been capable of keeping up at his age. Some people don't agree with me taking him bear hunting at his age but seeing how most kids his age are turning out in this generation of instant gratification I think it's important to instill a brutal work ethic and the concept of working hard and earning what you really want in life.

More than anything though I'm impressed with these bears and their ability to seemingly be everywhere and nowhere all at once and am even more dedicated now to putting one in the freezer before they ban black bear hunting as well. Would love to tag along and see how things are done first hand before I am faced with the task myself though so if anyone needs an extra set of hands out there please let me know. My back still isn't 100% but even on my worst day I can out-haul a good number of fellas.

Will definitely try and get back out there as soon as possible, just picked up a thermacell after a brutal weekend of mosquitoes and will do some research on when those berries should be ripening up, this weekend just ramped up my dedication x10.
    Last edited by 45freezer; 05-13-2018 at 04:12 PM.