Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garmin Inreach vs Delorme Inreach

Re: Garmin Inreach vs Delorme Inreach

These units are not without some level of dissatisfaction.

You ou don't get a personal number to give out to others so you can be contacted in an emergency.
    Every person you send a message to receives it from a different number, and that numbers can not be sent to from anyone else.

What im saying is you text your wife and she gets it from 657 8756, your son gets 273 5478, and your brother gets 367 5819 and on and on.
    If they shared that number with someone else, that person sent you a message, it will not go through.

You can however share a web link to your personal map share page that can be set for anyone to see or various levels of password security for various tiers of access.. to see where you are at the moment, your track history, send messages and even see where you plan on going if you have imputed a planned route or waypoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Busterpayton54 View Post
    These units are not without some level of dissatisfaction.

You ou don't get a personal number to give out to others so you can be contacted in an emergency.
    Every person you send a message to receives it from a different number, and that numbers can not be sent to from anyone else.

What im saying is you text your wife and she gets it from 657 8756, your son gets 273 5478, and your brother gets 367 5819 and on and on.
    If they shared that number with someone else, that person sent you a message, it will not go through.

You can however share a web link to your personal map share page that can be set for anyone to see or various levels of password security for various tiers of access.. to see where you are at the moment, your track history, send messages and even see where you plan on going if you have imputed a planned route or waypoints.
    this is true however whoever you text can simply just reply to the number as if it was your own, I only use the text function to communicate with home when I'm away for more than just a day hunt and out of cell range.
    but keep in mind its not bulletproof either, last fall a major snow storm rolled in on us and I was unable to get messages out untill it cleared up a little the next morning
    Last edited by Bag1; 04-20-2018 at 07:55 PM.

So it sounds like I should pick up a cheaper older Inreach SE in the meantime until Garmin gets it figured out and releases a better model with more abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by JPG View Post
    So it sounds like I should pick up a cheaper older Inreach SE in the meantime until Garmin gets it figured out and releases a better model with more abilities.
    I thought about this too but I heard that some of the older delrome devices dont even work nowadays and that the inreach units are VERY close to being obsolete.

I'd hate to buy one and have it not work in a year before the NEW garmin comes out. Besides, the new garmin will probably have a built in camera and other features besides gps and they'll want like $700 for it

I saw lots of the older Delorme InReach units being (as well as the latest Garmin InReachs) used last fall by pilots and guides in the Canadian north. BS that they aren't working. Heck they are still selling leftover stock of the Delorme branded units. Really doubt they'll leave everyone that has a unit built prior to some future model release high and dry. That said, electronics are constantly evolving...and I hope to have the InReach capabilities in my iPhone someday without having to carry the second unit.

Yea as said above, whomever you text will be able to use that number to contact you as if it was your own.

And this is not not an issue with the unit model, this is how their system is designed. For security purposes apparently and believably so. Each message you send out gives your current coordinates (if you have that setting on) so you could imagine if the wrong people got ahold of your number and could verify where you are by illicit information a response or flooding you with messages to use up your allotment.

This is a kick starter that competes with Inreach but lighter in weight

https://gearjunkie.com/somewear-smal...global-hotpsot

Thoughts?

I use the InReach SE with the EarthMate app on my iphone for navigation and coms through the InReach and find it works great. Never had any problems with the InReach SE. Great battery life and has never failed to send or receive a message.

Quote Originally Posted by JPG View Post

This is a kick starter that competes with Inreach but lighter in weight

https://gearjunkie.com/somewear-smal...global-hotpsot

Thoughts?
    This looks awesome. Would love to support some competition for Garmin etc. I'll be keeping an eye on these guys. I've been thinking I would wait for the rumored new Garmin with the ability to use the Back Road Maps chip. If that doesn't come out before I decide I need one - this looks like the ticket. I'm going to subscribe to their newsletter.