Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Controlled burns planned

Re: Controlled burns planned

I love to see the burning. Our forests desperately need this.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Wonder what the debris loading was back in the 60's and 70's when we slashed and burned species like pl. All I know walking through those burned plantations now and it is amazing to see the growth.

i know you might not agree with me, but government is the one that sets rules from stocking standerds to free to grow to green up. They are just numbers that some buracrats have come up with. The blame is always layed on industry but they are just following the rules set by government.
    There was very little in the way of fire suppression before 1970ish,,, so debris would be minimal, in most area's I am thinking.

"rules set by government" becomes confusing when the donors to said political parties are the ones who....oh,, never mind.
    Biologists in this province must be pulling their hair out.

Smokey Dah Bear says, " Make sure you put out that Spliff b4 yah toss it on the dry grass, I mean weed, it's every where folks."
    Jel -- Smokey the Bear -- says, put yer Butts out -- way out hahahahaha -- Stick yer Butts way out lol ---- I like big butts and this I can't deny!

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    There was very little in the way of fire suppression before 1970ish,,, so debris would be minimal, in most area's I am thinking.

"rules set by government" becomes confusing when the donors to said political parties are the ones who....oh,, never mind.
    Biologists in this province must be pulling their hair out.
    So you think knocking down all the then 'useless species' like pl didn't create debris loading in cutblocks. And BTW we had fire suppression well before 1970.

And political donations go both ways. We currently have a minister of Environment whose election campaign was entirely funded by US Environmental ORGs whose funding comes from US Oil producers with the sole goal to landlock Alberta Oil.
    Last edited by dana; 04-19-2018 at 08:56 PM.

So you think knocking down all the then 'useless species' like pl didn't create debris loading in cutblocks. And BTW we had fire suppression well before 1970.

And political donations go both ways. We currently have a minister of Environment whose election campaign was entirely funded by US Environmental ORGs whose funding comes from US Oil producers with the sole goal to landlock Alberta Oil.
    Anyways, back to the fires, I'm aware of fire suppression as I was doing it in the late 70's, but it aint like it is now, and where I live region 3-8 the land burned every 100 yrs, so now were abit off cycle, creating a hazard thats needs to be dealt with.
    WTF are you talking about oil for dude.

'Controlled burns, I think the control part is just wishful on some fires.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Anyways, back to the fires, I'm aware of fire suppression as I was doing it in the late 70's, but it aint like it is now, and where I live region 3-8 the land burned every 100 yrs, so now were abit off cycle, creating a hazard thats needs to be dealt with.
    WTF are you talking about oil for dude.
    oh I don't know maybe because someone brought up Political donations? You want to take off down a rabbit hole, I'll help ya.

So back to Fire Supression. There was a day when we hit it early and hit it hard. Those days are long gone.
    Last edited by dana; 04-19-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Prescriptions change to meet the flavour of the week sometimes. Around here compamys are trying to fill the material demand of a new wood pellet plant and a co-generation plant, they need fuel too.

Check out BC Forest Practices Board. These guys are a good source of the how and why. No double talk, straight answers from a watchdog
    .bcfpb.ca
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Wonder what the debris loading was back in the 60's and 70's when we slashed and burned species like pl. All I know walking through those burned plantations now and it is amazing to see the growth.

i know you might not agree with me, but government is the one that sets rules from stocking standerds to free to grow to green up. They are just numbers that some buracrats have come up with. The blame is always layed on industry but they are just following the rules set by government.
    No argument on the stocking standards, been watching the robotic planting of mono-species for 25 years. But it is not all Gov for everything, watched a lot of companies get approved amendments to change species from DF and Sp to Pl because the rotation of 80 years for shitty grain wood appealed the bean counters in the ivory towers.

As for burning, the jury is still out on the pros and cons for BCB and will probably be for a while.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    No argument on the stocking standards, been watching the robotic planting of mono-species for 25 years. But it is not all Gov for everything, watched a lot of companies get approved amendments to change species from DF and Sp to Pl because the rotation of 80 years for shitty grain wood appealed the bean counters in the ivory towers.

As for burning, the jury is still out on the pros and cons for BCB and will probably be for a while.

Cheers

SS
    Maybe the jury is out in your neck of the woods but I can assure you it is being bantered around in many areas of the province post last fire season. Silviculturally, is it a hill to die on opposing?