Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Controlled burns planned

Re: Controlled burns planned

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    You do realize that forestry companies still broadcast burn blocks much bigger than this right? 48 ha is just the size of an average cutblk.
    But that's after they cut all the timber isn't it ???

You do realize that forestry companies still broadcast burn blocks much bigger than this right? 48 ha is just the size of an average cutblk.
    Depends on where you live Dana.. in my country industry does zero prescribed burning..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Don't go spoiling the mood now .... some still believe in the " habitat habitat habitat " theory🤔

When is the last time they broadcast burn in Region 8?

Would be nice to see that be the norm around here again.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Areas in Reg 8 that I frequent simply burn slash piles. There are no prescribed burns conducted by forestry companies that I am aware of. It is logged to sh*t, more and more roads every year.

As for the habitat, habitat, habitat sarcasm that appears to be fanned and mocked......I guess outfitters up north would regularly 'accidentally' burn chunks of their area simply for a better view. They were creating habitat to increase their guiding success due to the resulting spike in wildlife and said concentration.

Oh, and this years inventory counts for MD in Reg 8 had the highest density and numbers come from a burn that is still in it's prime of productivity. Counts have been stable there while other areas are showing a decrease.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Like others have said, It's a good start, now to expand these burns across the province.
    Again, I will quote the post I actually responded to. Notice the phrase 'across the province' ? We do broadcast burns still in my neck of the woods. A 48 ha burn is just the size of an average cutblk. Yes, it is a good start. But don't pat yourselves on the back like you are saving mule deer from the brink of extinction. Just wonder if a skidder chaining the area could cover more ground and if volunteers planting Ceanothus could give a better bang for the buck when it comes to helping mule deer? Again, 48 ha is just a small area to burn. What is the estimate return for mule deer? Has this question been asked or are we still thinking chants and mantras are the way to produce deer?

Its 120ha not acres. That is a misprint in the story.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Its 120ha not acres. That is a misprint in the story.
    That is better. Glad to hear the right number. Is there a plan to plant deer food like Ceanothus post burn? Just looking at a natural burn in grassland country in Kamloops, hard to notice any difference a year or 2 post fire. Just looks the same as the unburned areas. First year, I did observe good deer activity but didn't see much for sheep activity. Second year, deer activity dropped off and was same as the unburned areas. Sheep didn't seem to care about it whatsoever.

old guys like acres, younger and middle like hectares -- because of school and what they were taught under -- when you used the old system long it's what you know and compare with -- the new system now is the way to go if your not retired.
    I'm older and like pounds and ounces hahahha just think -- in terms of the way you were taught when in school years ago. Pounds, miles, inches
    Jel -- it shows a persons age a bit
    Last edited by Jelvis; 04-18-2018 at 07:50 PM. Reason: I HATE TO SAY IT BUT YOU GOTTA BE OLDER 2 KNOW lol

Broad cast burns on cutblock can either be good or bad, depending on the wood debris left. Most don't do shit on steep blocks for wildlife, it is all about making planting easier and removing the shit wood the companies pay $.25/m for. Dana, do they burn south facing, pure pine blocks or are most north facing, cold and dark spruce and balsam blocks? The last block I burned was back in 1998, Balsam/Spruce with avg 20% slope, and we have never burned another since for Northern BC from Rupert to Prince to DC. My guess is the Clearwater district or Headwaters or what ever it is called now is the only place in BC that still BCB.

But BCB are not for wildlife, these burns are.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!