Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Controlled burns planned

Controlled burns planned

An update on a collaborative project between FLNRO, BCWF clubs and region, and PIB.

Controlled burns planned

Colin Dacre - Apr 18, 2018 / 10:39 am | Story: 224028

Photo: Mike Biden file photo

The Penticton Indian Band is announcing prescribed burns in the Garnet Lake area northwest of Summerland.

In conjunction with the provincial government, the burn will take place over the next three weeks and cover 120 acres between Summerland and Peachland.

“This controlled burn will help restore and enhance natural important wildlife habitat and reduce the risk of wildfire to nearby properties,” a PIB news release reads.

“Historically, the landscape in the Garnet Valley would have been renewed through frequent, low-intensity ground fires. Such fires prevented tree encroachment, rejuvenated understory plants and helped maintain open grasslands and forests with large trees.”

Smoke from the fires will be visible from nearby communities. Crews from the Penticton Indian Band and BC Wildfire Service will be on scene to watch the fires at all times.

The burns will only go ahead on days where the weather will allow the quick dispersion of smoke.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Pentic...-burns-planned
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Controlled burns planned

seems like a good proactive fire prevention program, that ties in to traditional burning regimes and in the end will increase wildlife habitat.

Good on em. I think we'll be seeing alot more of this. Last year opened up some eyes for sure.

Its a great start , but need to burn 120,000 acres in that region make some great habitat .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Its a great start , but need to burn 120,000 acres in that region make some great habitat .
    Justin will have everyone dropping roaches all over the place, it just might happen!
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

A step in the right direction!
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Good news, and good on all those involved, hopefully this common sense thinking will spread throughout the province.

Thumbs up all around good to see some positive news for a change kudos to everyone involved.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Like others have said, It's a good start, now to expand these burns across the province.
    Trudeau is a Neya Noonan Utim Tugeye

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Like others have said, It's a good start, now to expand these burns across the province.
    You do realize that forestry companies still broadcast burn blocks much bigger than this right? 48 ha is just the size of an average cutblk.