Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Region 4 LEH Cow Elk Allocations??

Re: Region 4 LEH Cow Elk Allocations??

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    Some Info that may be of interest:

Q:
    Hearing some people talk about region 4s populations being way lower than anticipated.
    Is the population really down to approx 6000.
    How did that happen? Some mentioned that the estimate was 15-20k.
    Hoping for some clarity.
    Thank you.

A:
    Hi, the elk survey we completed this winter is for the East Kootenay Trench (MUs 4-02 to 4-04, 4-20 to 4-22, 4-24 to 4-26) and the estimate is going to be about 6800 elk. The previous estimate in 2008 was 14,000 elk but this was more than the habitat could support so populations were reduced from 2009-2013. Cow harvest is minimal now and we had pretty high calf ratios on the survey so I suspect the population is going to rebound.

Q:So we can expect the cow elk leh to be downsized/removed.

A:Yes, I think people underestimate the impact of cats on our ungulate population and it seems like there’s no shortage of them.
    I have been encouraging hunters to increase the female cougar harvest. Same thing for bears, especially when it comes to impacts on neonate calves and fawns.
    I have no idea who this is from, but it is my suspicion that they are "very correct" with everything above that was stated.
    I know some will "disagree about the cat thing", but I have experienced that they are around a lot more then ever before where I spend my time hunting.

As for the LEH, I haven't even looked yet, but, it makes sense if they reduced it to 1, and by doing this, avoid those fools in
    Victoria, so that's a really "good idea".
    I do agree however, that the herds need to rebound, so we need as many cows as we can get, so, basically stopping the cow leh is something I support.

As for seeing elk by the highways, I am not surprised at all.
    It isn't even an elk issue, as I am seeing this with deer and you name it, in a lot of areas of BC.
    Personally, I think they are doing this more now due to avoiding Preds (hanging close to humans instead).
    Unfortunately, by having that zone x, we basically culled off a big chunk of those elk herds, as they just weren't returning back to the high country come spring.

Hopefully, with some of the fires we had, and basically getting rid of the LEH, and hopefully there are some individuals putting in their own time targeting the preds, we may get to see these elk up in the region come back.
    Keeping fingers crossed.

Some info I'm sure many of you've seen....

2017/2018 Season

R4 Cougar Hunter Harvest - 108 39F 69M
    R4 Cougar Incidental Harvest - 24 11F 12M 1U

R4 Wolf Hunter Harvest - 40 26M 14F
    R4 Wolf Trapper Harvest - 54 30M 23F 1U Incidental 6

Lots of cats being killed, so they're not scarce! Only 40 wolves killed by hunters, 100 in total versus 132 cats. Of course, this is only reported, I'm sure there were a few dogs shot and left.

Cats are easy...all you need are good dogs and a fresh track compared to wolves where if you used dogs, you would just be feeding the wolves.
    I am interested in the reasoning behind the slaughter of elk and deer because the habitat could not sustain them. Would that be because we have destroyed/removed a good portion of the habitat they used to have??
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    I am interested in the reasoning behind the slaughter of elk and deer because the habitat could not sustain them. Would that be because we have destroyed/removed a good portion of the habitat they used to have??
    I think it could mean that herds start residing in farm and ranch land, not necessarily not enough habitat, but I'm speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    I think it could mean that herds start residing in farm and ranch land, not necessarily not enough habitat, but I'm speculating.
    We have been seeing that trend for a number of years - more game within the city limits than out. Cranbrook, Kimberly, Grand Forks, Christina Lake,....the list goes on. Predators, especially wolves, won't follow them there. Couple of weeks ago I saw a few dozen elk right in Canmore. they are safe there. Didn't see another animal anywhere from there to Radium, another sanctuary town.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    Some Info that may be of interest:

Q:
    Hearing some people talk about region 4s populations being way lower than anticipated.
    Is the population really down to approx 6000.
    How did that happen? Some mentioned that the estimate was 15-20k.
    Hoping for some clarity.
    Thank you.

A:
    Hi, the elk survey we completed this winter is for the East Kootenay Trench (MUs 4-02 to 4-04, 4-20 to 4-22, 4-24 to 4-26) and the estimate is going to be about 6800 elk. The previous estimate in 2008 was 14,000 elk but this was more than the habitat could support so populations were reduced from 2009-2013. Cow harvest is minimal now and we had pretty high calf ratios on the survey so I suspect the population is going to rebound.

Q:So we can expect the cow elk leh to be downsized/removed.

A:Yes, I think people underestimate the impact of cats on our ungulate population and it seems like there’s no shortage of them.
    I have been encouraging hunters to increase the female cougar harvest. Same thing for bears, especially when it comes to impacts on neonate calves and fawns.
    Whereas it can be difficult for most hunters to get after cougars and wolves, I think we can play a role by buying a black bear tag or two each spring and pursuing them.
    Almost all MU's in BC have 2 bears/year limits for a reason. They play a larger role than some realize.
    I sure enjoy it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Travalanche View Post
    Who was this from?
    Yes would be interesting to know, looks like could be from FD but there is some one else that comes to mind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    Some info I'm sure many of you've seen....

2017/2018 Season

R4 Cougar Hunter Harvest - 108 39F 69M
    R4 Cougar Incidental Harvest - 24 11F 12M 1U

R4 Wolf Hunter Harvest - 40 26M 14F
    R4 Wolf Trapper Harvest - 54 30M 23F 1U Incidental 6

Lots of cats being killed, so they're not scarce! Only 40 wolves killed by hunters, 100 in total versus 132 cats. Of course, this is only reported, I'm sure there were a few dogs shot and left.
    Why would there be a few dogs shot and left, is it legal to shoot them and leave them.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Why would there be a few dogs shot and left, is it legal to shoot them and leave them.
    Probably wounded and couldn't track...stop.asking stupid ass rhetorical questions. You know exactly why that would happen, if it ever did. It's speculation.at it's best on both parts.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_horse View Post
    Probably wounded and couldn't track...stop.asking stupid ass rhetorical questions. You know exactly why that would happen, if it ever did. It's speculation.at it's best on both parts.
    Sorry don't know why things would be shot and left, it wasn't said they were wounded and couldn't track.