Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Region 4 LEH Cow Elk Allocations??

Region 4 LEH Cow Elk Allocations??

I didn't notice this last year, but why are the allocations for the antlerless elk in the Kootenay's down to 1 in all areas??

Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Region 4 LEH Cow Elk Allocations??

It keeps the hunt on the books.

Much easier to increase authorizations than to get the hunt approved all over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Well I guess it's Van Isl Elk LEH this year then!

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    It keeps the hunt on the books.

Much easier to increase authorizations than to get the hunt approved all over again.
    By on the books you mean cancel the hunt otherwise?

They basically did that.
    Blacktailaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Islandeer View Post
    By on the books you mean cancel the hunt otherwise?

They basically did that.
    Yes. If they cancel it, they have to get it reinstated by Victoria, which can lead to all sorts of political BS.

If they simply adjust the authorizations down to one, they can put it back up rather easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by cassiarkid View Post
    Well I guess it's Van Isl Elk LEH this year then!
    Or you could just drive from Kimberley to Canal Flats and harvest one with your truck. I swear we saw 300 in 5 different herds going to Calgary last week. Pretty much on the road or in the ditch trying to get across. (Tip, drive a beater with a big bumper or borrow your ex-wifes truck)
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    Or you could just drive from Kimberley to Canal Flats and harvest one with your truck. I swear we saw 300 in 5 different herds going to Calgary last week. Pretty much on the road or in the ditch trying to get across. (Tip, drive a beater with a big bumper or borrow your ex-wifes truck)
    It's nice to hear that there are still a few left. Didn't see one 2 weeks ago from Creston to Radium . Will see tomorrow. Added benefit to having 1 instead of 0 is money, but yeah, it's way easier to change the numbers than authorize a new LEH.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by cassiarkid View Post
    I didn't notice this last year, but why are the allocations for the antlerless elk in the Kootenay's down to 1 in all areas??

Cheers
    easiest answer......too many predators killing elk so why allow hunters to kill the ones we need to rebuild the herds. I'm all for an antler less elk season but the populations in some areas are way too low. My opinion.....they needed to reduce the number of tags 5 yrs ago

Some Info that may be of interest:

Q:
    Hearing some people talk about region 4s populations being way lower than anticipated.
    Is the population really down to approx 6000.
    How did that happen? Some mentioned that the estimate was 15-20k.
    Hoping for some clarity.
    Thank you.

A:
    Hi, the elk survey we completed this winter is for the East Kootenay Trench (MUs 4-02 to 4-04, 4-20 to 4-22, 4-24 to 4-26) and the estimate is going to be about 6800 elk. The previous estimate in 2008 was 14,000 elk but this was more than the habitat could support so populations were reduced from 2009-2013. Cow harvest is minimal now and we had pretty high calf ratios on the survey so I suspect the population is going to rebound.

Q:So we can expect the cow elk leh to be downsized/removed.

A:Yes, I think people underestimate the impact of cats on our ungulate population and it seems like there’s no shortage of them.
    I have been encouraging hunters to increase the female cougar harvest. Same thing for bears, especially when it comes to impacts on neonate calves and fawns.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    Some Info that may be of interest:

Q:
    Hearing some people talk about region 4s populations being way lower than anticipated.
    Is the population really down to approx 6000.
    How did that happen? Some mentioned that the estimate was 15-20k.
    Hoping for some clarity.
    Thank you.

A:
    Hi, the elk survey we completed this winter is for the East Kootenay Trench (MUs 4-02 to 4-04, 4-20 to 4-22, 4-24 to 4-26) and the estimate is going to be about 6800 elk. The previous estimate in 2008 was 14,000 elk but this was more than the habitat could support so populations were reduced from 2009-2013. Cow harvest is minimal now and we had pretty high calf ratios on the survey so I suspect the population is going to rebound.

Q:So we can expect the cow elk leh to be downsized/removed.

A:Yes, I think people underestimate the impact of cats on our ungulate population and it seems like there’s no shortage of them.
    I have been encouraging hunters to increase the female cougar harvest. Same thing for bears, especially when it comes to impacts on neonate calves and fawns.
    Who was this from?