Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chilliwack Shooting Area restrictions to be expanded

Chilliwack Shooting Area restrictions to be expanded

Just came across this and think we should be a bit concerned. The meeting is tonight at 7PM. A bit late for some but hope to get the word out. http://www.chilliwack.ca/main/notice...0No%204510.pdf

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Chilliwack Shooting Area restrictions to be expanded

Quote Originally Posted by dmaxtech View Post
    Just came across this and think we should be a bit concerned. The meeting is tonight at 7PM. A bit late for some but hope to get the word out. http://www.chilliwack.ca/main/notice...0No%204510.pdf
    That looks to be where all the new houses have gone up in the last 5 years up there. Makes sense to close that as the green area is already closed.

Sam wadington is the council member pushing for this and he is anti-gun in a huge way unfortunately. Over the last year and a bit I have noticed that he has been quite vocal and there have been several local news paper articles where he has made unsupported claims/statements that reflect poorly on the majority responsible gun owners in an effort to push for tighter restrictions on shooting areas in the fraser valley. He is pushing to have the above proposed restriction expanded.

This area restriction is being brought forward by city staff because there were complaints about gunfire in the middle of the night on November 12th and the early hours of Nov13. I called it in to RCMP at 2am. It was 8-9 shots of handgun fired in rapid succession 4 times during the night. It was not legal gunfire. There are some new developments on the western edge of the area, but the gunfire that was complained about was illegal and in the green area to the north of the new area. My concern is a restriction to legal activity due to illegal actions.

It was 8-9 shots of handgun fired in rapid succession 4 times during the night.
    I get that it was illegal shooting but I'm curious how you determined it was from a handgun.

The laws are already in place to prevent this so adding more bans/laws probably won't help with this individual. I just don't like seeing additional laws piled on top of people when existing laws are already in place.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    I get that it was illegal shooting but I'm curious how you determined it was from a handgun.

Rifle would have been 5 or less shots, was not a .22, was not a shotgun, sounded like 9mm semi.

Rifle would have been 5 or less shots, was not a .22, was not a shotgun, sounded like 9mm semi.
    I'm sorry, but this just makes me laugh ... Allow me to educate you, there are numerous unrestricted 9mm semi auto carbines , for example the keltech sub2000 which shoots 9mm and can take 10 round magazines legally. Let's not ASSume and press more regulations onto the law abiding PAL holding gun owner... We need to stand together not divide because you assume it was one thing when it could have been many.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 04-17-2018 at 12:53 PM.

You are right, coukd of been a Keltech, a JRC, or a few others. But in all likelyhood it was a handgun. Putting more restrictions on something that is already illegal will do nothing. It will just drive law abiding people further and further into the bush.

I can't make it tonight but hope quite a few do
    Last edited by Mulehahn; 04-17-2018 at 01:11 PM.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    You are right, coukd of been a Keltech, a JRC, or a few others. But in all likelyhood it was a handgun. Putting more restrictions on something that is already illegal will do nothing. It will just drive law abiding people further and further into the bush.

I can't make it tonight but hope quite a few do
    Another even more fair point, if it was a criminal illegally discharging a handgun at night, I can assure you it isn't registered and they won't give a shit If this area becomes a "no gun zone" yet again it only ****s over the law abiding license holding legal gun owner (Y)

So I went to the meeting tonight. A few residents who live in the area spoke about the importance of shooting on their property for their own enjoyment of their property. It was also brought to councils attention that the shooting incident that brought on the complaint and proposed bylaw amendment was an illegal shooting, during the night, and that restricting our rights and privileges due to illegal actions is wrong. Council voted unanimously to defeat the proposed bill.