Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkeys 2018

Turkeys 2018

Well we are 0 for 3 on bowhunting turkeys today. Lots of chances, some shots, broken arrows, dull broadheads, and I almost got run over by an overzealous tom. No pics of course because I forgot my camera. I have an double bearderd one that I'm gonna try for. One thing we did get was wet and cold!
    How are the rest of you doing?
    Last edited by Brez; 04-15-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Turkeys 2018

Cant shoot em till they give me some time off work! But looking to do a road trip to finally try out some turkey hunting in a couple weeks. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a good area to look?

Right on, Brez. Keep us in the loop. I have to live vicariously through you since I’ll probably never make the chance to hunt them.

Had 4 toms surprise me 5min from where I parked the truck.I headed up beside a small creek to get onto an old trail, I had scouted them yesterday to the east but just to the west is a small knoll that gives you a view along the old trail 300-400m. I just can't resist checking knolls like that, although I'm easing along hugging the left side I still have step out and around a small tree to clearly see over the top. Right on the other side is a small creek maybe 6m away and feeding along the trail beside the creek are four toms.We saw each other at the same instant, unfortunately they didn't relish the idea of being someone's dinner. Then it was four hours of hiking, calling, and glassing before I heard the next group. I could not entice that tom away from his hens, even though I think I sounded way sexier I guess three or four hens in view is better than the one not showing herself.
    To be continued next weekend.
    Last edited by jtred; 04-15-2018 at 04:31 PM.

My new brainwave set-up is great for getting them to come in. 3 hens and 3 toms. One tom wouldn't quit running in. He ran faster and faster till, at 10 feet, I panicked and turned my bow to shoot but he skedattled before I could draw. I've got the rig on my recurve now so I can draw quicker and not have to right the bow. I had a good laugh as that turkey was on a mission! Wish I hadn't forgotten my Gopro.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;

I’ve got my gear sorted and going to head towards my spot near Grand Forks on Thursday morning.

What sort of elevation are you guys at? Snow level is where?

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I’ve got my gear sorted and going to head towards my spot near Grand Forks on Thursday morning.

What sort of elevation are you guys at? Snow level is where?
    I'm low. Snow is low, but I've had them gobble in 2 feet of snow a couple of days ago and my daughter-in-law saw a tom at the Bomby summit which is over 1200 meters.

I want to hunt turkeys. I live in LM and I am thiniking trying for a weekend, possibly next weekend. Any suggestions or if someone would like to team up?

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    I'm low. Snow is low, but I've had them gobble in 2 feet of snow a couple of days ago and my daughter-in-law saw a tom at the Bomby summit which is over 1200 meters.
    My area is around 1000-1100m, but highway cams in the area show not a lot of snow left. I guess I’ll see on thursday. I’ve seen them in the snow before too, so fingers crossed!

Noob: I’d offer to let you join, but I’ve already got a virgin turkey hunter coming along, and a possibility of a second one. If you have wheels, just load up your camo, grab a cheap call, and decoys and watch a couple of videos on technique. Drive east until you get into the bird zone and try your luck. I went solo my first few times, and had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    I want to hunt turkeys. I live in LM and I am thiniking trying for a weekend, possibly next weekend. Any suggestions or if someone would like to team up?
    I'm heading out of town for a while and then I have guys coming that I'm going to help out. Honestly, anywhere east of Rock Creek and south of Naksp is good. There are a lot of good threads and tips on this site and Youtube is your friend. As I said, I'm pretty booked up till the end week of May. I will pm you if I can get an oportunity.