Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Turkeys 2018

Re: Turkeys 2018

I have to appologize to all who I've tried to give pointers to. When you do something a lot you take things for granted. I forgot to mention to look for and hunt the moist places in meadows, gas lines, and power lines. That is where the tureys will be feeding on the new green shoots. That is where we got 2 toms from the last two days and that is what we have been looking for without thought the whole season.
    I will include a couple photos of these past 2 days so that you can see the varied types of country that I hunt. I will tell you that the place we got our birds are a solid 45 minute walk from vehicle. There are easier, closer places but we see no one else and that's how we like it.

A bear's clawing tree...

A few hundred sweaty feet up from nearest road...

My newest brainstorm, The Pack Decoy, at work...

The tom that we were after and hiked all over the mountain side for and was found at roost back near the truck! His lucky day...
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Part 2 or something

This morning's "flatlands" hunting location...

This morning result, shooter and caller, and oh, I used my Back Pack Decoy!...
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;

Oh,yah, so, anyway, the point was that both these toms were taken where the grasses were greener than the surrounding stuff and the roosting one was the only one left of dozens that were there a just couple of days ago but the hillside had dried up and, I guess, the rest moved to greener pastures. Good use of the pun here.

Great advice Brez.
    Nice birds you guys got.
    Love the pack decoy!!!
    Twist and pull.

Couple of experienced hunters not so experienced turkey hunters giving Christina lake a try. Send me a message if you're out and want to show us around.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaSteve View Post
    Couple of experienced hunters not so experienced turkey hunters giving Christina lake a try. Send me a message if you're out and want to show us around.
    Not heading that way for a while. My guest will be leaving soon and if you are this way, pm me and I can meet you for a while. I gotta catch up on stuff around the house too.

Anyone still out hunting Turkeys? Anyone still hearing them or seeing them by Creston or any of the boarder crossings?

A buddy and I are heading to the (West) Creston Valley to see if we can get some lead into a Tom or Two.

PM me if you want meet up or need a hunting buddy, just keep in mind that this is our second Turkey outing ever and first season hunting them.

Cheers,

I just saw 3 toms in someone's front yard on the way home. Too bad, One had the best beard I've seen in a few years. Looks like the toms are going in bachelor groups already. Should be lots around - at least in the Trail area. Creston is the turkey mecca so you should get into some. Try up along the lake, Sirdar, Wyndel if you can find accessible land. They arespreading out so be prepared to move up the mountains. Duck lake area in the hills may be worth checking as well as corn Creek. Lots soth of Creston but access may be an issue.

This is my 9th season hunting turkeys here in the Creston Valley and I have to say this has been the toughest year yet, there are lots of the big birds on private but things are not great on crown. I have been out every Saturday and Sunday since the season opened plus last Wednesday evening when my daughter had time and it has been a very discouraging season. Not a gobble, not a cluck, not a yelp, nothing since the first day action. I've been to all of my previous hotspots, I've tried a few new areas, I've stayed low, I've gone high(right to snow line), I have hiked for hours, sat for hours, hiked and called for hours. Nothing. I think the past two winters have really affected the population where they aren't being fed. I'm really not trying to discourage anyone from trying the area just passing on my experience so far this year. Most other years have been a blast, lots of action every time I went out, just not this year. If you get permission for private you'll do well. I prefer hunting where I can't see houses and hear people so I stopped hunting private six years ago, the birds are more wary, this year they seem almost mythical.

Listen to Brez he has some great advice.

Still...the easiest and cheapest turkeys are at Costco.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc