Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Turkeys 2018

Re: Turkeys 2018

Last week I tried Boundary Country. Went all the way to Grand Forks but mainly hang at Rock Creek. As you all know I have no idea what I'm doing. I asked around and one of the locals said they show up pretty randomly. In Grand Forks a lady told me she saw them but that was pretty much right in town. So I didn't see any birds but I met some really good guys who were also after them turkeys so we hang together. No turkeys harmed , obvously.

Not a bad trip as we discussed some future hunts but really more of a road trip than a hunt.

There are birds all over many of the places mentioned above.

I always hunt cautiously in the evening. My goal is to roost them and go after them in the morning. Get in there and set up before they're out of the roost and you'll have a great chance at killing them. They were flying out of the roost as early as 5:20am and as late as 6:00am this past weekend.

Turkeys are extremely habitual and predictable. They like to keep the same routine.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    Last week I tried Boundary Country. Went all the way to Grand Forks but mainly hang at Rock Creek. As you all know I have no idea what I'm doing. I asked around and one of the locals said they show up pretty randomly. In Grand Forks a lady told me she saw them but that was pretty much right in town. So I didn't see any birds but I met some really good guys who were also after them turkeys so we hang together. No turkeys harmed , obvously.

Not a bad trip as we discussed some future hunts but really more of a road trip than a hunt.
    Did the same trip with my son a few years back finally located one by fluke in Rock creek.Got out of the truck to stretch our legs and heard a cobble.I would recommend cruising with the windows down in the quietest vehicle you have.Not living in these areas does make it challenging finding them.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Did the same trip with my son a few years back finally located one by fluke in Rock creek.Got out of the truck to stretch our legs and heard a cobble.I would recommend cruising with the windows down in the quietest vehicle you have.Not living in these areas does make it challenging finding them.
    We locals use the same techniques as worked for you. Obviously, now that we've been at it for some time, we pretty much know where they will be but the fun is finding them on your own. Walking in and shooting one as it comes ou of it's roost is certainly not as fun as searching and stalking or calling them.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    There are birds all over many of the places mentioned above.

I always hunt cautiously in the evening. My goal is to roost them and go after them in the morning. Get in there and set up before they're out of the roost and you'll have a great chance at killing them. They were flying out of the roost as early as 5:20am and as late as 6:00am this past weekend
    Turkeys are extremely habitual and predictable. They like to keep the same routine.
    How do find where they are roosting ? call them at dusk and listen ? I went for drive last week and had a couple young turkeys run up the road in front of the truck for a couple hundred yards , thought I might check out the area for toms ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    How do find where they are roosting ? call them at dusk and listen ? I went for drive last week and had a couple young turkeys run up the road in front of the truck for a couple hundred yards , thought I might check out the area for toms ?
    Windows down, drive and call every couple hundred meters. Shut off engine while calling. Wait 3-4 minutes. I have had tham answer to my door shutting, sneezes, coughing, shotgun going off, alarm clocks, but try owl calls or gobbles. You can hike and do same.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Windows down, drive and call every couple hundred meters. Shut off engine while calling. Wait 3-4 minutes. I have had tham answer to my door shutting, sneezes, coughing, shotgun going off, alarm clocks, but try owl calls or gobbles. You can hike and do same.
    thanks , I have never hunted turkeys and know nothing but see them running around now that I moved to the WK

We locals use the same techniques as worked for you. Obviously, now that we've been at it for some time, we pretty much know where they will be but the fun is finding them on your own. Walking in and shooting one as it comes ou of it's roost is certainly not as fun as searching and stalking or calling them.
    Who's shooting them as they come out of the roost?

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Locate them in the late afternoon/evening. Turkeys do not travel far in a day and usually roost well before last light. Sometimes I'll use a crow call to get them to shock gobble but most of the time I stick with hen calls. Once they're located it's pretty easy to figure out where they're roosting. Come back in the morning, set up your decoys and bring 'em in!
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Well my Albertan buddy finally arrived last night...

That's a nice looking Turkey, Congrats.

Well my Albertan buddy finally arrived last night...