Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada in the Rough

Re: Canada in the Rough

sitting in a tree stand does not measure up to the commitment of training dogs and hunting specific creatures. There is much more skill, determination and planning goes into a run with a dog and crew of deer hunters. Big bucks are not that way because they are stupid. I have hunted for almost 50 years now and seen dog hunting slowly disappear, don't see the young hunters doing it.

I too was shocked at this show of Grizzly hunting in Russia ..To me it has put Canada in the Rough in the " Rough"...They had a pretty highly ethical show but this diminishes them ....People will question this method of hunting and will have more ammunition to stop other hunts..Personally if its legal its legal but .....Dennis...

The only hunting show I watch these days is Steve Rinellas. I like his style of hunting, and he is charismatic enough for my wife to enjoy watching too. His show is less about product placement and more about hunting and just being in the woods. Some of the other shows have logos everywhere and turn themselves into glorified infomercials.

Probably have it on the pvr, but, if it is as other's say, I doubt I will watch it at all.
    May be legal etc, but just go against some of my thought of how hunting should be, or, represent
    how I hunt.
    In the end, I think it just adds more to giving us hunters a bad name or not so favorable of an opinion by the non hunting
    folks...IMO

Hunting bears using bait is common practice in most of the places bears are hunted. Most BC bears are road hunted, which may seem unethical to hunters from other areas, but it’s accepted practice here.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    If it's legal in that jurisdiction, who are we to judge what is and isn't ethical. That's a slippery slope.

What I do question is whether some of these hunts should be the subject of television shows.
    One Canada in the Rough they were in a lodge with 3 chefs cooking table side for them.....not sure how they get Rough out of that, haven't watched that show since that day.

Sounds good. nice they can still hunt bears in Russia. hope they got a big one.

Not too long ago a gave a comment on their hunt on elk in the Muskwa, which I thought was an excellent representation of
    what we hunters experience here in BC.
    But like some say, rules are different in other areas/countries.
    As long as it is sustainable, and good conservation is applied, that is what really counts.
    What style of a good representation of "how we hunt" I suppose is up to debate.
    I only wonder what a none hunter would think, as those are the people on the fence who we really need to be "in support of hunting" as well, not just us.
    Something we all need to think about...IMO.

Different place in the world....different hunting style.

Don't think Russia will ever cave to the anti-hunting organizations.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Hunting bears using bait is common practice in most of the places bears are hunted. Most BC bears are road hunted, which may seem unethical to hunters from other areas, but it’s accepted practice here.
    Totally agree! Also different areas of the country and world have different terrain where certain hunting practices and techniques need to be used to have any sort of success. Using dogs or baiting isn't at all lazy at all when you think of the time/effort that goes into it. Training a dog takes a lot of work and dedication. Baiting is also a lot of work, scouting and setting up in a proper area, hauling in bait on a regular basis, also I might add just because you bait doesn't mean anything is guaranteed. You still have to put your time in on the stand, an animal may only show up at night when you can't hunt and they very rarely keep a set pattern or schedule. Road hunting from a truck seems easy in comparison!