Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Region 6 ???

Re: Region 6 ???

Terrace is the new lower mainland
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Go for it, get out of the rat race in the lower mainland, good luck what ever you decide.

Nice area, moved here almost 6 years ago. Good place for an outdoorsman. Head 15 minutes from town in any direction and you can be off exploring. Hiking is good with lots of old mining trails into the alpine. Mountain snowmobiling is a big thing here if you're into that.

Bears and goats are the main species, moose is OK but restrictions tightening up. Short drive to the Iskut/Dease area for multiple hunting and fishing opportunities - I've left town on a Friday afternoon and been back Monday morning with a caribou hanging in the shed.

Salmon restrictions again this year, but if you move here buy a jetboat. There are 1/2 dozen rivers to explore and camp within 45 minutes from town + the main Skeena. You don't need a $100k rockcrusher boat, a 16ft jet sled will get you just about anywhere. Some of the scenery up these rivers is amazing. Short drive to the ocean as well.

Weather is usually either awesome, or complete shit. Buy good rain gear, and don't expect cold, dry winters with fluffy snow. It can rain steady from late fall to mid winter, & you get wet snow dumps that get knocked down by the rain a day later. But generally if the only thing you have to bitch about is the weather, you're doing pretty good.

I lived up there for 16 years, in Hazelton, 90 miles NE of Terrace. Good fishing and good hunting around Haze but now the moose season is shot, 6 days GOS.Lots of bears though, black and grizz. Goat hunting leh if you are brave enough. Rotten rock on a lot of the high places, scary to climb. Salmon fishing from mid June for springs, then the pinks and sockeye, then coho, steelhead. Kispiox Valley is a nice place but since I have left the FN are being assheads. "25$ to fish here" kinda thing. Bring a sawed off shotgun if you want to pick Pine mushrooms. FN`s will try to hi-jack you for a cut. Just talked to an old friend up there. Since the mills have gone down and Hazelton has zero economy the stewards of the land are hi-jacking guys who fish , hunt or mushroom pick. They will try to jam you up over being in their "traditional lands" Frigg them, they are just bandits. It was an amazing place to live back in the 80`s. Not so much anymore. Glad I left in `99. BUT, WAY BETTER THAN THE LOWER WASTELAND. By far.
    Last edited by sawmill; 04-16-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Thanks so much for all the informative responses.
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.

A fellow hbc member once described it as something like
    Terrace bc

Pinks and cohos really are a nuisance burning your thumb
    the deep powder flying in your face makes it hard to breath
    the endless logging roads just get boring
    and there’s too many goats
    terrible place

for some reason it stuck with me. Really sommes it up right their

been in terrace my whole life. Love the place. 5 minutes in any direction and your in the middle of knowwhere.
    Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06

What other Terrace folks have already said...after 30 yrs I doubt I could leave. Why?
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

C’mon you don’t wanna leave the lower Ratland for terrace that would be silly. You got all the salmon fishing you want there, and 2 ft next to you is another person enjoying the serenity of nature with you. Then 5 people down you might get to see some fists thrown over crossing lines.

9 months so far out of that hell hole for me and there’s no looking back.

F that place. I don’t even plan on going back to visit.

Might get stabbed for taking someone's fishing hole

Too many friggin salmon. And the goats are anoying.