Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Retallack Application for Adventure Tourism Tenure in the Purcells

Retallack Application for Adventure Tourism Tenure in the Purcells

I am not sure if this has been posted, I couldn't find it if it has. I am just wondering what the thoughts are on the proposed application for Summer/Winter adventure tourism for 71,000 Hectares in the Meachem, St.Marys, Grey Creek pass area of the Purcells.

I use this area quite a bit for hunting, hiking and just exploring. Being from Ontario originally, the abundance of open crown land in B.C. is one of my favourite things here.

Link below has location maps, proposal and provides a link to comment until May 13th.

https://arfd.gov.bc.ca/ApplicationPo...p?PostID=54966

Appreciate any feedback as I can't say I truly fully understand how this would affect the area.

Marc

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Retallack Application for Adventure Tourism Tenure in the Purcells

Another commercial profit driven entity bringing more people into the wilderness that wouldn't necessarily be able to get there on their own, facilitating increased traffic and pollution, in important possibly critical wildlife habitat
    But relax, its happening all over BC virtually un-checked. The tenure allows them to operate a business, doesn't grant exclusivity
    Retallack is wise, they acknowledge the indigens on the front page
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Yup, right until there comes a point suddenly when you start seeing "tourism" signs up that say "no firearms or crossbows".
    Seen that happen somewhere else, after someone felt he wanted to operate a "tourist haven" for mountain bikers and hikers in the summer and snowshoe's and cross country skiing in the winter.
    And Voila, there goes your favorite honey hole.
    I think that is going to be the next set of problems in years to come.

Your link came up blank for me. If not mistaken the area in question is near Purcell Wilderness Conservancy Provincial Park. Park is designated non mechanized area but hunting is allowed. Retallac already has a cat skiing operation elsewhere? Wonder what they're up to?

The link no longer works for me either, went back to the source where I got it and it has the same issue. Hopefully back up before the may 13th deadline as I was trying to gain insight prior to making a comment.
    Thanks

The link spoke about an app for land use east of Slocan Lake, not sure if it is the same mentioned on their website or another expansion
    In 2011, after an intensive four-year approval process, Retallack was granted an exclusive commercial mountain biking tenure on trails dispersed over 1.5 million acres in the West Kootenays. This resulted in the launch of the world’s first guided backcountry mountain biking program.

In 2014, based on the success of its pioneering mountain biking program and another exhaustive and costly government approval process, Retallack obtained authorization to create the world’s largest heli-biking and backcountry mountain biking operating area. The new tenure amendment reinforces Retallack’s leadership position in heli-biking and professionally guided backcountry mountain biking and authorizes an additional 280% increase in the development of downhill singletrack, all-mountain / enduro, and freeride mountain biking trails within British Columbia’s Selkirk and Purcell Mountains. Presently, Retallack is continuing to develop a plethora of trails that will enable customers to access additional descents of up to 6,000 vertical feet via a combination of helicopters, off-road shuttle vans, and boats.
    we maybe used one of their trails for a spring Griz hunt
    Last edited by boxhitch; 04-15-2018 at 08:08 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I know Retallack as a cat skiing business, but hadn't considered the mountain biking aspect. Never a client, but have driven past their staging area on the highway many times. Between New Denver & Kaslo I think. Seems to be a growing trend with operations that have in the past been winter only.

Sol Mountain touring here in the Monashees have a summer mountain biking & hiking business now as well and they started as backcountry ski touring operation. I've been backcountry skiing many times at the Boulder Hut which is south of the Purcell Conservancy. Heli access in the winter. Not sure where a mountain bike fits in the definition of mechanized?

One of the nice things about the Boulder Hut operation is that you're unlikely to have sledders mess up the area you are ski touring in. I was at Sol Mountain in January and some sledders from Nakusp rode almost to the lodge. Sol borders Monashee Provincial Park so that shouldn't have happened, since it's also designated non mechanized. They had to have travelled through part of the park it to get to the lodge. Tracked the area up big time. There are dorks all around us that don't observe the rules, or even common courtesy.

I guess as hunters we'll continue to be faced with fewer areas to hunt which are unaffected by other recreational users. It's business, the dollar wins in the end and a fact of life with growing population.
    Last edited by mike31154; 04-15-2018 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Location of Boulder Hut outside conservancy

The link seems to be working again. There are location maps, none of the areas reside inside the Purcell nature conservancy or St. Mary's alpine park boundaries.

Southeast portion of tenure application borders on Boulder Hut Adventures tenure. I wonder if Boulder Hut is aware, not that it matters. Even in summer it's a tough hike into Boulder. Looks like I was wrong about Boulder being in the Conservancy, it's to the south. Lots of urban mulies in Kimberley! On my fall hikes into Boulder Hut to help the owner, there's plenty of bear sign but have never seen ungulates once well into climb. I have photos of goats made ski touring to Mt. Lindsay years ago. Wolverines have been sighted there as well.

It appears Retallack is looking to get into the heli ski business. Stellar heli skiing is also applying to expand their tenure.

https://arfd.gov.bc.ca/ApplicationPo...p?PostID=55079