Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Retallack Application for Adventure Tourism Tenure in the Purcells

Re: Retallack Application for Adventure Tourism Tenure in the Purcells

Ya people should fight this with all they have. That is some prime wildness. It should stay wild. There are enough ski hills, cat ski, helli ski places already. I bet they have plenty of opening. Put a cap on it.

1 day left to get comments in on this proposal. The plan identifies at risk species with known sensitivity to human activities with "avoid when discovered" as a viable solution. Helicopters, snow cats, numerous trails, thousands of additional people a year - there is no way its not going to push animals out. How many wolverine or caribou do you think are going to be discovered when dollars are at stake? They proposal repeatedly states that the area sees very little public traffic as an arguement for the operation, I can't see how that's not an arguement against it. The impact of this is just not worth the economic benefits that a small group will enjoy.

Actually deadline for feedback has beeen extended to June 14th. Contentious issue no doubt

A good article in the Mainstreet news
    http://mainstreet.eshore.ca/perspect...hor-historian/
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Movement to expand the Purcell Conservancy

http://www.friendsofkootenaylake.ca/...posa-final.pdf
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

For those opposed to this proposal (it will undoubtedly restrict hunting in the area, and disrupt natural wildlife behaviour and dispersal), please email the following people and leave comments on the application website (comment deadline extended to July 15). This will be the most effective method of voicing concerns with greatest chance of success in having the application denied.

Christine Lohr, Land Officer, Kootenay Boundary Region, Christine.Lohr@gov.bc.ca
    CC to: Doug Donaldson, FNLRORD at FLNR.Minister@gov.bc.ca
    CC to: Michelle Mungall, MLA, at michelle.mungallMLA@leg.bc.ca
    CC to: Honourable John Horgan, BC Premier at premier@gov.bc.ca

Quote file # 4405893

https://arfd.gov.bc.ca/ApplicationPo...p?PostID=54966

Also, please consider signing the petition at the following link and sharing with as many others as possible:

https://www.change.org/p/the-governm...cation-4405893

Lastly, if you live near Kootenay Lake and are available to attend, there is an information session being held this Friday, June 22 at 7pm in the Crawford Bay Hall.

This tenure will cause irreparable damage to the ecosystem and wildlife of the area, and very likely restrict other activities on this public land (how can hunting not be restricted with a flow of tourists overlapping the same area, not just the occasional person hiking or otherwise venturing into the backcountry?)?

Any support is appreciated if you agree.
    Last edited by ConcernedCitizen83; 06-20-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Petition iink doesnt work???

Apologies, it should work now (above as well as below). Thanks for letting me know!

https://www.change.org/p/the-governm...cation-4405893

I’ve signed a few petitions at change.org. Not sure how effective they are, but I signed this one too. The whole tenure thing is a big problem province wide. I lived in Whistler for 25 years and still work and hunt there. One of my clients is a wilderness tour operator (I maintain and build some of their buildings as well as train their snowcat and equipment operators). There is not always totally a bad side to these operations. As a company, the one I contract with takes “ownership” of the land they are on and we are often out there cleaning up illegal garbage dumping etc. There are no “no hunting or shooting” signs anywhere (I have successfully hunted while on their tenure [possibly while actually at work]).

One issue we came upon is that the owner of the company didn’t think of all the activities that could take place on his tenure, and now there is a second company doing “wildlife viewing tours” which is basically wildlife harassment tours on the same land. I have seen them cornering feeding bears with multiple vehicles so tourists can take pictures of them. Yes, I stopped and told them to f-off, and then reported them to the COs.

I’m not defending these adventure companies at all. Merely pointing out that SOME of them are ok. Retallacks proposal seems to me to be a very bad idea. The entire province doesn’t need to become a giant Whistler!

Signed & Shared.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me