Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Retallack Application for Adventure Tourism Tenure in the Purcells

Re: Retallack Application for Adventure Tourism Tenure in the Purcells

Interesting. The tenure race appears to be on between Retallack & Stellar. Getting to be a bit too much mechanized activity for my liking....

http://mainstreet.eshore.ca/back-cou...he-east-shore/

This is what i came up with when i Searched, didnt mention stellar though

under your bed, in your closet, in your head

If this outfit gets all that they are proposing , it will be the death of the St.Mary's.
    Please help stop this from happening.
    I am not a supporter of Wildsight , but if you go on their sight there is any easy to use form to sign and forward to the Gov. to voice opposition for this proposal.
    Again...please do this...or don't complain when another area gets closed to hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by oldkoot View Post
    If this outfit gets all that they are proposing , it will be the death of the St.Mary's.
    Please help stop this from happening.
    I am not a supporter of Wildsight , but if you go on their sight there is any easy to use form to sign and forward to the Gov. to voice opposition for this proposal.
    Again...please do this...or don't complain when another area gets closed to hunting.
    once you get on their site and do your thing, there is another proposal from a US group that wants to take more land from us...
    https://secure.wildsight.ca/northwes...1524942403_168
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Thank you for taking the time to write. This is an automated response to let you know your email has been received and will be reviewed at the earliest opportunity.

For further information on recent initiatives undertaken by the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, please visit our website at http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content?id...3304C413DB75EA

Sincerely,

Doug Donaldson
    Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;

wrote:
    Why does this particular permit application stand out among the rest? Virtually all of the interior southern and middle BC is covered by some sort of backcounty tenure it seems, many heli- and cat- operations are springing up all over, with summer and winter operations. Why pick on this one?
    The whole back country is under pressure and Gov seems to be handing out permits like candy

wildsight-
    We couldn't agree more - far too much of our backcountry is covered in tenures. We submit comments on any significant tenure proposal in our area (generally between Kootenay Lake, the Alberta border, Kinbasket Lake and the US border). For more significant and harmful ones, we often ask our supporters and the public to speak up (as we have here on two tenures proposed in the same area).

Retallack's tenure is a real concern because the area is so large, the use is so intense (summer and winter heli-skiing, heli-biking, etc), and the South Purcells area is still mostly untenured (there are only two, one small heli-ski operation and one lodge and ski touring operation).

The real problem, as you know, is that there is no system to any of this and we have to keep constantly monitoring and commenting on tenures as they come up. It's a free for all. The local Recreation Management Strategy prohibits heli-access recreation here, but that doesn't seem to matter much to government.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    wrote:
    Why does this particular permit application stand out among the rest? Virtually all of the interior southern and middle BC is covered by some sort of backcounty tenure it seems, many heli- and cat- operations are springing up all over, with summer and winter operations. Why pick on this one?
    The whole back country is under pressure and Gov seems to be handing out permits like candy

wildsight-
    We couldn't agree more - far too much of our backcountry is covered in tenures. We submit comments on any significant tenure proposal in our area (generally between Kootenay Lake, the Alberta border, Kinbasket Lake and the US border). For more significant and harmful ones, we often ask our supporters and the public to speak up (as we have here on two tenures proposed in the same area).

Retallack's tenure is a real concern because the area is so large, the use is so intense (summer and winter heli-skiing, heli-biking, etc), and the South Purcells area is still mostly untenured (there are only two, one small heli-ski operation and one lodge and ski touring operation).

The real problem, as you know, is that there is no system to any of this and we have to keep constantly monitoring and commenting on tenures as they come up. It's a free for all. The local Recreation Management Strategy prohibits heli-access recreation here, but that doesn't seem to matter much to government.
    Just last year we effectively halted another in the Rossland area. As stated in the Wildsight reply, the backcountry in in a constant state of assault and the governments are tripping over themselves to give out these tenures

under your bed, in your closet, in your head

I will be the first to admit that, why this one ? is based on greed. This world class area can be reached within an hour of my home,...which doesn't really line up with their assessment of " remote ".

Not sure if it even can be stopped as they have partnered with a local FN band.

I have been fortunate enough to enjoy this area for 50+ years.

The application includes extensive mountain biking and hiking trails as well as lodges. The alpine in this area is very spectacular

especially in the fall when the larch turn their gold color. I can see this becoming very successful. Not sure how awesome it would end up being listening to helicopters thumping through the area

instead of Elk screaming their faces of. I know which I would rather listen to.

This area has a very high density of Grizzly bears ( yes...believe it or not they are not endangered ) and it is known one of the worst things you can do for them is put them in close proximity to people.

It would seem highly likely to me that if successful , it would only be a matter of time before it was decided that much of this tourism business is not compatible with guns going off , and no hunting or shooting boundaries would soon follow.

This area has a very high density of Grizzly bears ( yes...believe it or not they are not endangered ) and it is known one of the worst things you can do for them is put them in close proximity to people.

It would seem highly likely to me that if successful , it would only be a matter of time before it was decided that much of this tourism business is not compatible with guns going off , and no hunting or shooting boundaries would soon follow.
    Nailed it!!

I will be the first to admit that, why this one ? is based on greed. This world class area can be reached within an hour of my home,...which doesn't really line up with their assessment of " remote ".

Not sure if it even can be stopped as they have partnered with a local FN band.

I have been fortunate enough to enjoy this area for 50+ years.

The application includes extensive mountain biking and hiking trails as well as lodges. The alpine in this area is very spectacular

especially in the fall when the larch turn their gold color. I can see this becoming very successful. Not sure how awesome it would end up being listening to helicopters thumping through the area

instead of Elk screaming their faces of. I know which I would rather listen to.

Yep, more activity = more pressure on wildlife. Big slice of wilderness Retallack wants access to for mechanized recreation. I've been to Boulder Hut Adventures many times over the years, both as a guest & helping the owner in the fall with maintenance & to prepare firewood for the winter. Remote takes on a whole different meaning when you hike into the place over Boulder Pass rather than getting your a$$ flown in on a heli. Even though it's not that far from Kimberley, it gets wild pretty fast when you start hiking from the trailhead.

And yes, scenery is second to none, particularly in the fall when the larch are turning as you've mentioned.

Below Boulder Pass on the way in to the lodge, packs loaded with supplies. It's a gnarly climb to get over.

North side of Boulder Pass is visible here on the way out a week later with a fresh dusting of snow.

Not too shabby in the winter either.... on foot that is

I spent a good deal of time in the European Alps many years ago. Seems a few folks with deep pockets would like to turn our mountain wilderness into the more manicured version in Europe. Jumbo Glacier project is another example..... I'd prefer our province to stay a little less civilized, thank you. 'Bout time more of us got greedy in this way.