Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Selkirk Caribou close to Extinct

Re: Selkirk Caribou close to Extinct

Apparently government pledged millions for caribou...so please use it on viable herds not the lost causes..triage is important for there are limited funds and even more limited strategies..
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Don't let ideology get in the way of actual conservation!
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    That reminds me of a Park close to me, Wells Gray. No roads. No logging. The largest untouched wilderness area in Southern BC. Should be where the caribou can acheive great success right? Nope! Habitat upon Habitat upon Habitat and yet the caribou aren't able to get their heads above the water. Hmmm, why? Could it have something to do with zero predator control? Naw, just couldn't be that.
    ^^^^how are the moose doing in Wells Grey btw?? IMO your all right, pred control is direly needed, and human impact on the landscape is not helping the ungulates at this point in the cycle as well, especially the caribou...I believe logging initially helped the other ungulates other than caribou with all the new feed, and continues to do so when done in moderation, but that of course increased the number of preds, and as Pemby said, we are now witnessing the trough of the ungulate population numbers in the cycle, in many areas of BC.....

Moose have tanked in Wells Gray as have muleys and whitetails. Habitat galore and virtually no wildlife. This is what happens when you put one animal on a pedestal and let all other animals suffer.

I have had conversations with people about the caribous demise,and the point I try to make to them is that we all have blood on our hands.Be it from being a logger to anyone that uses the backcountry and that the caribou needed help in the form of predator control.However most of the Nelson skier types dont want to here this and would rather blame industry.One has to remember that there used to be thousands of miners and prospectors all through there range and herds were fine.Not saying that some habitat protection wasnt needed,but at 3 animals left its over

The ecotourists love to complain about hunters, loggers ect, but won’t compromise with any of their sports. Until all user groups are on the same page, nothing will change and all wildlife will suffer.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

What he said ^^^^

I don't really comment on this site...but do enjoy reading some of the discussions. Putting personal opinions aside regarding the use of machines for hunting (I prefer a frame pack) I think Pemby is simply seeing the writing on the wall a little clearer than most. We hunters are facing a shift in government policy and public opinion that is not going to support hunting...in fact, it's going in the opposite direction. This caribou collapse, declining moose and muley numbers etc are all pointing to fewer hunting opportunities and greater regulation. Human nature is to push our limits...unfortunately, this means that cutting in new tracks for ATV/UTVs to sensitive habitat that may have a negative effect on wildlife. These tracks never get smaller...they just keep getting bigger/deeper and provide more easy access for riders and wolves. We are not going to get this horse back in the barn and I'd expect significantly more ATV/UTV restrictions province-wide in the regs in coming years. The issue of unrestricted FN hunting regardless of any conservation issues is a potentially bigger problem [IMHO] that no government is likely to tackle. As hunters I think we are basically fighting a losing battle if we don't take a page out of the anti's book and start self-regulating a bit more...and ranting less. Officially, hunting is a privilege...not a right...and priveleges are easily removed.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Moose have tanked in Wells Gray as have muleys and whitetails. Habitat galore and virtually no wildlife. This is what happens when you put one animal on a pedestal and let all other animals suffer.
    Sorry to hear that.....I wish we had the OK from govt. to start knocking wolf numbers down by more effective methods..

Quote Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
    I don't really comment on this site...but do enjoy reading some of the discussions. Putting personal opinions aside regarding the use of machines for hunting (I prefer a frame pack) I think Pemby is simply seeing the writing on the wall a little clearer than most. We hunters are facing a shift in government policy and public opinion that is not going to support hunting...in fact, it's going in the opposite direction. This caribou collapse, declining moose and muley numbers etc are all pointing to fewer hunting opportunities and greater regulation. Human nature is to push our limits...unfortunately, this means that cutting in new tracks for ATV/UTVs to sensitive habitat that may have a negative effect on wildlife. These tracks never get smaller...they just keep getting bigger/deeper and provide more easy access for riders and wolves. We are not going to get this horse back in the barn and I'd expect significantly more ATV/UTV restrictions province-wide in the regs in coming years. The issue of unrestricted FN hunting regardless of any conservation issues is a potentially bigger problem [IMHO] that no government is likely to tackle. As hunters I think we are basically fighting a losing battle if we don't take a page out of the anti's book and start self-regulating a bit more...and ranting less. Officially, hunting is a privilege...not a right...and priveleges are easily removed.

Just my opinion.
    What he said^^^^^ (sounds like you "should" post more often!!)