Thread: Need to hunt high mountain.

Need to hunt high mountain.

OK I am going to out on a limb (for me) and get vulnerable here and seek some advice and insight. I have a great desire as many of us do to HUNT the ALPINE . I am getting to the age where I better start or it will be all talk. (52)
    I am looking for like minded experienced hunters who would like to get together for some perspective high country hunts. I am a dedicated passionate hunter and will hunt the mountains.
    I am not looking to scoop anyone's special spot and I do have some places myself as most of us do.

Been hunting etc all my life and trapped as a kid but have not hunted sheep or goats or mountain Mules. I have mountaineering/ back country experience and gear. I am in great shape for now, strong, active, and can manage any game down as far as skinning, breaking down and packing, etc. Long distances are OK for me and I am fast on my feet. I am in the Vancouver marathon in a couple of weeks and am only doing it for the bear hunting training. My racing bib says ROD HUNTS.
    I am not a bad shot and am considered competent when fishing, offroading, hunting, packing, butchering, safety, etc. I am reliable. I also am a bow hunter too.

I generally hunt SOLO and still will but have trained numerous NEW hunters over the last 10 years and am open to help others.
    I am also wanting to go on hunts where I just help with other hunters packing out Or just need help in other areas. Also as a back woods contact as with SPOT devices etc. in The Lower Mainland.
    I am a member of the Mission Gun Club, Backcountry Hunters Association, BC Wildlife federation, and am very interested in Conservation issues as well as Hunter rights and voices.
    I live in Mission.

I get an enormous amount of time off every year and my schedule is flexible. My wife and kids also have NO issue with me being away for long stretches.

Well that's my pitch.
    PM me if you want to talk or give me some good advice.
    Thanx to ALL who may help.
    ROD.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Need to hunt high mountain.

Damn Rod, I don’t have anyone to offer, but sounds like you are where I hope to be. Good luck on branching out your inner circle.

Re: Need to hunt high mountain.

New to hunting myself (last season was my first) but I did manage to get a high alpine mule deer second day of the season. There are some amazing resources on the web if you know where look. First is a web based store out of Idaho called Argali. Check out their website, tons of information on alpine hunting, gear etc. Another amazing resource is The Journal of Mountain Hunting. Everything you need to know about hunting the alpine is covered extensively from gear, to fitness, diet , strategy.

Hope these help

Hunterchef