Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Selkirk Caribou close to Extinct

Re: Selkirk Caribou close to Extinct

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    who said I don't support targeted, comprehensive predator control? I certainly don't support any and every means of it. I don't support eradicating any wildlife species either.

I am saying the issue is greater than that, and so must the solutions to the problem be.

I dont really agree with the wider scope of your points either. Being followed by a single pack of wolves, is a whole lot more manageable for a herd of caribou than being head off in every direction by predators of all kinds following packed down roads as a super highway to a buffet. Being forced out of the alpine by snow conditions is different than being forced down into a breakable crust in the trees by overhead helicopters and a party of snowmobiles.
    There are an estimated 250 wolves in the Itcha Ulgatchuz Park. Who knows how many grizzlies? The caribou herd has gone from 2500 10 or 12 years ago to about 7 or 800 today. Moose herds decimated tooThere are no roads or logging in this vast area. What does your theory say to that?

Pemby,
    Aside from reading what you think goes on out in the sacred caribou habitat, have you actually seen the regulations in process. I have. I have worked with them each and every day over the last 25 years. And I have watched as more and more regulations have been put on top of the tons already in place. Be it forestry, sledding or skiing or any backcountry use. The stakeholders have given and given and given. And yet Caribou have continued to decline and decline and decline. I have watched the predators numbers explode and seen the lack of concern from the so-called scientists. Much better to get more money and put more collars on more dogs than to actually do something that matters. So, yes, I have a personal chip on my shoulder when it comes to the mismanagement of caribou.

"currently believed" "for many".......in 1999

i wasn't about to copy and paste 68 pages or whatever it was. I thought given the age of the research, highlighting the projected conclusion to be more relevant.

I also described the modern day context to the quote, in which we now have a better idea of the entire mechanism behind their decline.
    It does show that predation was a factor back then and has continually ramped up until today. Yes there are other factors, but a restorative cull is in the forefront of slowing down the demise of our precious ungulates.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    There are an estimated 250 wolves in the Itcha Ulgatchuz Park. Who knows how many grizzlies? The caribou herd has gone from 2500 10 or 12 years ago to about 7 or 800 today. Moose herds decimated tooThere are no roads or logging in this vast area. What does your theory say to that?
    I don't know if it's accurate to call it my theory, but thanks for the credit.

A) it's worth noting that cyclical predator/prey ratios have always been highly volatile from the peaks to the troughs. So if an area was left relatively free of interference, I'd expect the kind of changes you're describing.

b) to recover from such a decline, good clean habitat is necessary. And preferably access to traditional migratory routes.

c) I'm not sure we can say that the impacts humans have on migratory predator numbers in one area, are going to stay strictly confined to that area unfortunately. Obviously if wolves find a way to vastly exceed one areas natural carrying capacity, they're going to either move or expand into areas that have remaining excess capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    That reminds me of a Park close to me, Wells Gray. No roads. No logging. The largest untouched wilderness area in Southern BC. Should be where the caribou can acheive great success right? Nope! Habitat upon Habitat upon Habitat and yet the caribou aren't able to get their heads above the water. Hmmm, why? Could it have something to do with zero predator control? Naw, just couldn't be that.

I don't know if it's accurate to call it my theory, but thanks for the credit.

A) it's worth noting that cyclical predator/prey ratios have always been highly volatile from the peaks to the troughs. So if an area was left relatively free of interference, I'd expect the kind of changes you're describing.

b) to recover from such a decline, good clean habitat is necessary. And preferably access to traditional migratory routes.

c) I'm not sure we can say that the impacts humans have on migratory predator numbers in one area, are going to stay strictly confined to that area unfortunately. Obviously if wolves find a way to vastly exceed one areas natural carrying capacity, they're going to either move or expand into areas that have remaining excess capacity.
    That’s the big problem; wolves are exceeding their areas and decimating all the surroudings areas too. Won’t be long and the only thing left will be starving wolves.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Looks like the hippie's have a decision to make, and wear, do they want Caribou, or wolves? you can't have both.
    I wonder what Sadie Parr (wolf lover) has to say about that?

Are they a different species from up north , if not then transplant some from the north country .
    I always thought caribou lived in north BC funny to have seen them around Revelstoke a few years ago while hunt for grizzly
    was totally surprised .
    I always have image of them being a tundra animal not a forest creature .

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Look up genetic threshold..they have been extinct for a long time.
    Something like this is also very close to the truth^^^^^....I believe.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    Are they a different species from up north , if not then transplant some from the north country .
    I always thought caribou lived in north BC funny to have seen them around Revelstoke a few years ago while hunt for grizzly
    was totally surprised .
    I always have image of them being a tundra animal not a forest creature .
    ''woodland caribou" - not sure any population has an abundance of animals at this stage unfortunately