Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: LEH is out

Re: LEH is out

Let the drooling begin
    Shhhhitttt I got this hold my beer

Quote Originally Posted by stixnstones View Post
    Kootenay elk.1 tag per draw where there were way more. What’s the deal??? Anyone
    If your asking about 4-23a...it's because the elk population is ridiculously low. They needed to reduce the anterless draws in 4-23a 5yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    How is this justified? Seriously, you need to ask that question? It is justified because it is Exactly what the Resident hunters of BC fought for and won during the Resident Revolt. They wanted Opportunity! This is Opportunity at its best. Poor access with historically low success rates means you can hand out a bunch of Opportunity without any worry of consquence. This happens in many many units. And it fleeces the hunters of BC out of holiday time and gas and a quality hunt. Jam a whole herd of hunters on the same 6 kms of road and sit back and watch the chaos. Like who really is going to backpack out a doe? Welcome to the science of managing hunters. Zeeman and his buddies lied to the resident hunters of BC. Opportunity does not mean a hope in hell of success.
    You're right about opportunity over reality Dana. I can give you another example: Kamloops Moose 3-33, 9 authorizations in October and another 25 in November along with a GOS Immy season. It would be interesting to know the harvest success rate they have based this high number of authorizations on (relative to populations). Any given weekend the hunters will outnumber the moose there by a fair margin.

Saying that, I think it makes sense to give the maximum amount of hunters the opportunity based on historic success rates if it doesn't mean taking too many animals in a given year. A hunter just can't assume that a large number of authorizations means a large number of animals. The onus is on the hunter to do his homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    You're right about opportunity over reality Dana. I can give you another example: Kamloops Moose 3-33, 9 authorizations in October and another 25 in November along with a GOS Immy season. It would be interesting to know the harvest success rate they have based this high number of authorizations on (relative to populations). Any given weekend the hunters will outnumber the moose there by a fair margin.

Saying that, I think it makes sense to give the maximum amount of hunters the opportunity based on historic success rates if it doesn't mean taking too many animals in a given year. A hunter just can't assume that a large number of authorizations means a large number of animals. The onus is on the hunter to do his homework.
    Couldn’t agree more. The number of authorizations is a statistical exercise understanding that only a certain percentage of hunters will be successful. And whoever said that an LEH draw should be a guarantee of success?
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

[QUOTE=358mag;2001856
    Or maybe "Its" to busy filling out all those LEH's[/QUOTE]

How can you even fill them out, won’t allow you to?
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    Couldn’t agree more. The number of authorizations is a statistical exercise understanding that only a certain percentage of hunters will be successful. And whoever said that an LEH draw should be a guarantee of success?
    This is true, only a certain percentage will be successful by most measures.

however .... what IF they all were? You can't possibly run the risk of having every tag filled and end up with way more dead game than you estimated for .... can you?

Putting in for a few things

3-16C Goat, know where they are from two very different access points early september but life got in the way, this is my mental focus and goal. I'd rather win this than any other hunt.

2-11 Does october: Basically a gimme, seem to see tons of does in OCT and no bucks

Moose TBD, depends on a friend wanting to put in shared

2-6 Elk: A man can dream

Ashnola sheep: a man can dream, would love to do shulaps but sounds like it's too overrun and too few sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone C. Killer View Post
    One application= first choice + second choice
    But second choice only really works with undersubscribed hunts in theory does it not?

Some who get a tag might not even get out once, some won't get their butt cheeks off the restaurant til noon so lot's of tags won't be filled.
    I'd guess a quarter might get lucky
    Jel - u pays the buck$ yah take yer chances. If you get an LEH you should get something if you get out!
    Last edited by Jelvis; 04-16-2018 at 09:57 PM. Reason: L E H is a good thing

and please, please, think before you apply! If you aren't going to take 2 weeks off and pay $800/week for a snowmobile rental and aren't willing to drive 20hrs ... DON"T PUT IN FOR A BISON TAG IN MIDDLE OF WINTER!

Don't take the tags away from those that are a bit more dedicated!