Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $900 (US) waterfowling waders?

$900 (US) waterfowling waders?

I was scrolling around the web and noticed these. USD$900 ($1200 CAD) for a set of waders? I regularly catch my $200 Cabelas specials getting in and out of the boat. I guess they are Sitka awesome but I can't imagine how paranoid I would be about ripping these while crashing around in the marsh. For the same money I could buy

36 of these Gucci decoys and a mojo
    This shotgun x 2 (with handy duck hunting bayonet) or this one
    A used outboard
    A Labrador retriever

Where do you draw the line between what you will spend on functionality and stuff you pay up for just because it has an additional cool factor?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: $900 (US) waterfowling waders?

Depends how many $1200 coins you have in your pocket.

If a guy has to choose between Sitka waders and a dog the choice is obvious. But if you've already got the dog, the motor and the gun but you still have a few $1200 coins, why not?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

If your Cabela's brand gets a rip in them Cabela's will replace them, their gear has a great guarantee.

Cool Re: $900 (US) waterfowling waders?

Better be offering onboard BJ's in perpetuity at that price!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I have a pair of Simms G3 guide waders and they’ve been tough as nails. They’re not $900, but you do get what you pay for.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

The same guys who complain about pricing on some of these things don't seem to care about making payments on a vehicle when a 1990 Chev for $2500 will do the trick as nicely. Who really cares is the point. You can buy a Timex or you can buy a Rolex. Everyone spends differently and has different income to dedicate to certain hobbies, jobs, and passions in life.

I'd imagine the gear is very nice as is most of their gear.

What does Sitka know about making waders? I bet nothing. They probably just outsource this to the same company that builds waders for companies like Orvis, Patagonia, Reddington etc etc. Honestly, they're all crap. I would never wear sitka waders even if they weren't $1200.

Simms waders are by far and away the best waders money can buy and they are the ones that others try and copy now. They're so far ahead of the game in quality it's not even fair. When i'm not hunting i'm fishing. And 9/10 steelhead fishermen will be wearing Simms on the river for a reason.

I bought my first pair in 2005 after numerous attempts with Walmart waders, then upgrading to Orvis, then Reddington. They all suck. None lasted more than a season without springing a leak. Orvis replaced theirs twice before i got frustrated on the phone and told the lady "i know i should've just bought Simms". She said, i can issue you a refund or send you a pair of Simms from one of our stores ....... "uhh OK!" So they sent me my first pair of simms.

Used and abused from 2005 to 2009 when they sprung a leak in the crotch. Sent them to Simms in the off season and they came back good as new with even new neoprene feet on them. Cost me $24 to ship them to Montana. The repairs were free under warranty. They lasted until 2013 when i fell and put a gash in them on the back side. Sent them to Simms again and this time paid $45 to have them repaired (and neoprene feet replaced again), at which point i immediately retired them. They now sit as backup.

I picked up a new pair of "open box" Simms G3 pros on eBay in 2013 and have been wearing those ever since. Zero issues. I think I paid $320 USD for open box ones.

13 years - $520 USD total for both pairs - Been wet once!
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 04-16-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Ever try SeaTux? Made in BC. Awesome.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Actually, I have a pair of Simms waders too - and they weren’t cheap. But I would not wear them in the marsh (I guess I should have been more specific when I posted this originally). That is what strikes me as nuts. Wading on a river or even a bit of bushwhacking is fine but I am pretty sure I would rip them in no time out there. So I will stick to the Cabelas neoprenes, but I get that different folks see things differently when it comes to spending their money. That said I look forward to the reviews of these Sitkas from those that put real hours on them chasing ducks. Maybe they are bombproof, 10 year waders...

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    What does Sitka know about making waders? I bet nothing. They probably just outsource this to the same company that builds waders for companies like Orvis, Patagonia, Reddington etc etc. Honestly, they're all crap. I would never wear sitka waders even if they weren't $1200.

Simms waders are by far and away the best waders money can buy and they are the ones that others try and copy now. They're so far ahead of the game in quality it's not even fair. When i'm not hunting i'm fishing. And 9/10 steelhead fishermen will be wearing Simms on the river for a reason.
    So have you tried any sitka ones or even seen them in person or just talking out of your rear end?

If you actually think about it, good chance Sitka got a lot of design info from Simms as Simms uses Gore-tex and Gore-tex OWNS Sitka. Can you see a little connection?

Remember, Gore-tex approves a design before a company can use/manufacture the piece. Gore provides the warranty.

Chances are real good that they are a Simms wader with a lot tougher face fabric to withstand the marsh.