Thread: Sat Phone

Sat Phone

Anyone here buy an iridium sat phone? I used to have a global star and is was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned.
    What about the new spot-global star phones?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sat Phone

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post
    Anyone here buy an iridium sat phone? I used to have a global star and is was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned.
    What about the new spot-global star phones?
    I bought a Global Star phone a couple years ago because it was 50% off. It lasted less than two years. Go Iridium
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

I would bypass the phone and go delorme (Garmin )inreach .I have had spotty reception with Iridium phones as well.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

I've owned Iridium sat phones for years and years - very good overall. Definitely leaps and bounds over Fallingstar...sorry...Globalstar but as the poster above said, the inReach is SO good at sending/receiving texts plus added benefit of sending SOS at the push of a button and location services - I sold my satphone and got one of these and never looked back. IF you need the direct voice contact, then you have to stay with the Sat phone, but for basic communication I would suggest the inReach (it also uses the Iridium sats - stay away from SPOT as it is on the Global Star network and not as good overall in my opinion.) InReach started with Delorme but was bought by Garmin last year - there are still older versions available and work the same for a few hundred less - but the new ones from Garmin have a slightly bigger screen and a change in layout.
    Tick tock, tick tock...waiting for hunting season...

Thank you guys for the help. I do have an inreach but my elderly dad can't figure it out so that's why i'm going back to a sat phone.
    Been involved with some pretty bad accidents in the bush the last few years and phone contact is what i'm looking for.